V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this list, I didn't see this subject on the archives.

Just bought this bike, it has only 4500 miles.

However, there is a fuel leak where the hi and low pressure lines screw
into the lower left side of the fuel tank. It seems like it is coming from the
fitting (shaft portion) itself.

I have replaced the 2 o-rings, no success.

Dealer sez I need new hoses: #61470-95 ($51) and #61471-95 ($50)
I wouldn't mind paying the jack but I don't want to do that if it won't fix the
problem.

Am I missing something here? I wouldn't think something like that would fail
after virtually no use. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
If the leak your experincing is where the fuel return and supply check valves screw into the gas tank, replacing the o-rings should have sealed the leak.
Since it did not, the next step would probably be to replace both of those lines and install with 2 new o-rings.
I suppose it is possible that the area where the o-rings are suppose to seal against the gas tank itself could be compromised and allowing fuel to leak past the o-rings. Hopefully that is not the case. Also, you want to be sure to apply a thin film of clean motor oil to the new o-rings before installation.

FYI..I had a small fuel leak on the return line of my 2001 FLHRCI. I tightened the fitting slightly past the max torque setting that the service manual calls for and it stopped the leak.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tell ya what, I replaced the o-rings, I'm beginning to think it's a problem with the seats inside the tank. When you tighten the fittings, it doesn't seem to actually tighten the assembly, if you know what I mean. Almost as if the seat is too far inside the tank, or the line from the hose is to short. In any event, you can "wiggle" the line even after tightening the hex nut, which tells me that for whatever reason, it isn't tight enough.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts