V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so long story short my 88 fxrs progressives were 18 and change and the Dual disk front end I put on from a supposed 97 Dyna are 21 and change. The forks themselves on the 97 front end we’re 1.5 inches taller than my stock fxrs front end here’s a pic for reference .

I was wondering if anyone here had info as to if the spring set that came with the 97 was a stock length for that year Dyna? Looking for progressives or race techs for it but the part numbers from progressive are the same for both so I’m stumped.

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
46 Posts
progressive might have used a longer spacer on the newer forks

Reactions: casement

·
Registered
56 Posts
Fork tube length and rebound rod length determine the full extended length. You have one or a combination of the two; or someone did not put the topout spring back in the longer set. Spring length does not determine the extended length.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Fork tube length and rebound rod length determine the full extended length. You have one or a combination of the two; or someone did not put the topout spring back in the longer set. Spring length does not determine the extended length.
Vitally important to understand what Lloyd has stated... re-read and understand...
also note... H-D is Famous for varying fork tube length...which has Zero to do with Damper tube length but plenty to do with Spring [or Spacer] length... Whenever you see the specs for Rake, Changed in H-D literature, in a common Chassis ie Any 4-speed [pre-1985] any FXR[any Letter here] Rigid mounted Sportster ...4 speed and also 5-speed...
the MoCo has Changed the fork tube Length... in order to change [slightly] the effective Rake Angle..

·
Registered
884 Posts
The Progressive kits come with PVC pipe (the classic shim method) and there's no reason you can't shim yours to whatever pleases you. I would prefer the Dyna front end for the extra ground clearance since my local roads svck and the less easy it is to scrape peg mounts and/or pipes the better. It would be bizarre for Progressive to use a longer spacer since the difference without the extra spacer length would waste that much travel. There's no reason for the springs to be different. I have their springs in my '88 and '94 and like them. When I went to an FXRT front end on my '94 FXLR I reused my Progressives and cut longer spacers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts