V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a review / write up on the 98ci kits / builds. Searched the web, manufacture's web site, and the forum but did not find any true technical reviews of the 98ci builds. I found lots of posts but looking for more technical info on performance, material used, and just all around technical information. Looking for something that can be printed out and used as reference material.

·
Revperf
281 Posts
davemhughes said:
Looking for a review / write up on the 98ci kits / builds. Searched the web, manufacture's web site, and the forum but did not find any true technical reviews of the 98ci builds. I found lots of posts but looking for more technical info on performance, material used, and just all around technical information. Looking for something that can be printed out and used as reference material.
Hey Dave,

Cycleworld wrote an article last year. I will get the issue number for you when I get back in on Monday. Right now I have 6 sides of ribs getting ready to go on the smoker and 2 sides of king salmon fresh out of Lake Michigan to go with it. This is when d'Wrench wishes he still lived up by the big water! :harhar:

BN

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like minds....ok well as far as food that is

Doing ribs and smoking a brisket today also.

Thanks for getting that info on monday. I bought a kit and just want to learn all i can about the technical aspects of it.

I did find some research on the Nik-Sil-carbide cylinders and had a basic idea where to look as I am familar with them from my aviation days. Most quality aircraft cylinders are lined anymore with that and have been used in avaition since the early 1950's when Mahle developed the process and Porsche fine tuned the process in the 70's I believe. Only bad thing is you can not re-bore them. Must be re-coated if scratched or scuffed, sometimes a diamond hone can remove very small scratches I think. I assume your cylinders use the electroplating process of metal adhesion to cylinder wall. I know they wear a very long time and for air cooled cylinders they dissipate heat well and do not chip like chrome lined cylinders. Some of the aircraft re-build shops say do not use synthetic oils with them, unsure really why. I suspect it is because unlike most cylinders where the rings wear into the cylinder wall I believe these actually wear into the rings for the heat/compression seal.

Oh well till Monday.....thanks again

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Had a sled with them. Yes can't bore have to resleeve, takes a little while and little more money. I had a sled done for about $160. Which was a lot of money to me at the time.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Let us know how 98" tourer compares to 95" softail. I want to know if I can get cocky yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts