V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the best 98" build for California gas? Whats should I do to continue useing andrews 37, or which cam. I'm Looking for budget build suggestions useing what I got now. Can I use forged pistons to correct compression to 10.0 or lowerWhich forged pistons How do I avoid ping monster? Which port job? Which throttle body size?
How long do cams last with good care,60 k on this andrews 37. What cam in the future should I combine with the budget 98".

What would I get if I just add 98" pistons,rebored jugs and dyno with present set up

·
Gearhead
1,114 Posts
If it were my bike I would pull the heads off and send them for porting. I would also have 1.900 intake and 1.600 exhaust valves installed with .600 max lift springs. Put a mackie .590 cam(or any cam of your choice with a .575 + lift) and deck your heads to a corrected compression 9 to 9.2:1(depending on the cam you choose) and you will be good to go. you'll be givin stock 110's a hard time.
The 37 cam is a good cam but it is for low lift springs 1999-2006 baggers. So if I did not have a lot of money then I would get new higher lift springs & valve seals along with a higher lift cam...see what happens. The diffrence between a 95 and a 98 ci motor is not going to be that much. Right now your motor is choked off due to the stock heads and the low lift of the cam. Give it more air and its going to run much better.

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
R&R Cycle has a stage 2-1/2 cnc porting program that will take out the core shift in the ports and kick you up to around 110 T&H with great manors with your existing cam and keep your torque curve looking great.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Like the King said, those 2 1/2 heads work great with that cam, want a bit more? install some 1.72 SE rockers on them, no need to even touch your camchest if you are confident of the lifters and tensioners.
I would keep comp in that 9.8 range and install releases.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
King and bvbob

So glad to here from you two guys, Thats what Im gona do.
Had the Hy-lift lifters put in recent,(for bigger cams) with adj rods(SE), but will replace rods with the hpi tapered ones. I got.
I will do 9.8 comp. Shave the heads .007 sound ok?
Refresh the bore and rings, new valve seals.
ACR, which ones?
Which throttle body size change do you suggest? If any?
Like the roller rocker Idea, any head work need there.

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
If you keep the existing throttle body and rockers you will have your reliable budget build. We offer these heads and pistons with the proper cc's. We also can offer a split set of rockers if you want a little more power.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Just have some nice porting and general headwork done and you'll be good. No need for anything else other than a good tune in the end. Thats a nice pipe your sporting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts