V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Who? Me?
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished putting the bike together this afternoon. Loaded a map, crossed my fingers and hit the starter. It fired up on the first push of the button. In the process of heat cycling it now. I brought it up to temp per HDWRENCHs instruction and am letting it cool right now. I borrowed one of those laser temp guns from a buddy. Those are slick. Anyhow, cant wait to get it cycled and take it down the block. Ill keep you informed.

·
Who? Me?
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
98" kit, 37g Cams, and head work all from HDWRENCH. Did the work myself with lots of help from HarleyHogs web site, HDWRENCH and the helpful guys on this board. I was a little freaked out when I hit the start button, but after it started and the oil light went out, I felt pretty good. Oh yeah, I put in a Baisley spring while I was in the cam chest.

·
Who? Me?
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HDWRENCH had me start the bike and bring it to temp (190-200) and then shut it down (idle only, no throttle). I used a laser temp gun to measure temp. I did this 3 times, letting the bike cool completely between starts. I gave it a couple of hours between each run. Now I know there are a thousand different theories on break-in, but Im going with advice I trust from a knowledeable source. Ill keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
192 Posts
does it sound any different? I've got mine apart and waiting for everything so I can hopefully get it back together right. Just curious if the different cams made it sound different. Thanks-Jason

·
Who? Me?
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its definitely louder, but it doesnt have a lope to it as I had expected. Ill let you know when I get some more run time on it.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
HarleyHeevo said:
Its definitely louder, but it doesnt have a lope to it as I had expected. Ill let you know when I get some more run time on it.
Be curious to see what you think. I'm with JCW. Just pulled the heads off and cam out today. Am waiting on the 98 kit. With the possible exception of intake and pipes, looks like my build will be the same as yours.

Keep us posted.

·
Who? Me?
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finished heat cycling, but that is all. The wife and I are at the in-laws for a week, so havent had a chance to take it out on the street yet.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
bet you cant wait huh....my engine upgrade piggybank is growing quickly. I am planing the very same build.....thanks again for keeping me/us posted

1 - 12 of 12 Posts