V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the machine ('02 Deuce) back together last weekend and have spent this week working on break in. Now have 120 miles on the new build and I must say I'm impressed. Short story to follow:

Purchase:

With some reservation about doing this build myself, I called Steve at GMR Performance to discuss the pro's / con's of doing the build considering I've never done an engine build on anything (short of underwater diver propulsion vehicles for exploration). Steve assured me of his availability and the ease of which the parts would go together, so I bought the following for my 2002 HD Deuce EFI, which had a Stage 1 breather but otherwise stock:

Revolution 98" kit (rings/pistons pre-installed)
37g cams and gear drive (Cams installed by GMR)
Comp Cams Lifters
By Pass oil spring
Stage 1 Head work by GMR (porting, new valves/springs, etc)
Total Fuel DFO

Disassembly

The bike tear down was easy, except for draining the gd gas tank (like an idiot I still had about 4 gallons in it). The most significant issues were the piston wrist pins (had to be beat out while making sure not to bend the cylinder studs), and then getting the piston Circlips out (will next time buy a piston pin removal tool or other tool for the same job---would have also come in handy putting the new ones back in).

Downtime

Spent cleaning all bolts, etc of old thread lock, oil, etc.

Assembly

Reassembly was also pretty easy (looking back) despite my pessimistic view on the final result due to my piss poor mechanical experience. Most significant problem areas were the wrist pins, again, and the circlips. Also had a bit of a time getting the new gear drives back on but was quickly assisted by Steve, via phone, on the best methods. The new cylinders went on (pistons already installed by Steve) but while installing a piston popped out and I ended up having to get a ring compressor from Napa to reinstall. It worked fine (only $12) and it was a good thing as I ended up doing the same to the second (after re-reading directions and making sure the rings were still in the proper position). Anyway, the rest of the components went on as outlinded in the service manual (which I figured out mine is a well made pirate copy; photo's were terrible compared to a "real" manual)

Initial Results

Upon completion, the bike fired up immediately and sounded as if it had never been violated. Completed initial break in, as described in provided directions, and have been pleasantly surprised at the very noticeable torque increase from the stock motor. It just seems so much more powerful which means so much more fun to ride.

Tools

Needed for this, in my limited experience:

-Good set of wrenches, allen keys, etc (should be standard info here)
-HD Piston Pin Circlip tool (#HD42317) (no idea how much they cost)
-Torque Wrench (20-150 ft/lbs)
-Torque Wrench (20-200 in/lbs)
-Sears Rethreader set (to clean spark plugs threads and others as needed),part number 52105, price about $50
-Piston ring compressor ($12 at Napa)
-HD Service manual
-Both Red and Blue Loctite

Customer Support by GMR (Steve)

Was very good. I must have called 20 times for various reasons. Steve is very, very knowledgeable and often knew what/how to proceed (including specs) off the top of his head. It was obvious he knew, inside and out, the dynamics of everything involved. In addition, he was exceptionally patient in dealing with a novice like me.

The power of my bike has dramatically improved and I'm very happy with the entire project. If anyone is thinking of trying this I can honestly say it's worth doing for several reasons, among those, learning more about internal mechanics of your bike and saving labor expenses.

If anyone in Missouri decides to do the above, I'd be happy to help.

Kind of long, but thought someone might benefit. Thanks--Jason Weisacosky

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,645 Posts
Jason,

Thanks for writing this all down. I am looking at doing this build but need to save up my pennies. Need to save up more because of not having torque wrenches and some of the other tools.

Bill

·
Registered
751 Posts
jcw said:
Revolution 98" kit (rings/pistons pre-installed)
37g cams and gear drive (Cams installed by GMR)
Comp Cams Lifters
By Pass oil spring
Stage 1 Head work by GMR (porting, new valves/springs, etc)
Total Fuel DFO

Tools

Needed for this, in my limited experience:

-Good set of wrenches, allen keys, etc (should be standard info here)
-HD Piston Pin Circlip tool (#HD42317) (no idea how much they cost)
-Torque Wrench (20-150 ft/lbs)
-Torque Wrench (20-200 in/lbs)
-Sears Rethreader set (to clean spark plugs threads and others as needed),part number 52105, price about $50
-Piston ring compressor ($12 at Napa)
-HD Service manual
-Both Red and Blue Loctite

Customer Support by GMR (Steve)

Was very good. I must have called 20 times for various reasons. Steve is very, very knowledgeable and often knew what/how to proceed (including specs) off the top of his head. It was obvious he knew, inside and out, the dynamics of everything involved. In addition, he was exceptionally patient in dealing with a novice like me.
I'm in the middle of the same build and can't wait to get this put back together and fired up.

I have also found Steve to be very helpful.

Where is the red Loctite required? I'll probably come across the info once I start putting it back together. I just don't remember where it was called for. I thought it was all blue Loctite.

Rick

Rick

·
FYJIGM
1,147 Posts
eglider05 said:
I'm in the middle of the same build and can't wait to get this put back together and fired up.

I have also found Steve to be very helpful.

Where is the red Loctite required? I'll probably come across the info once I start putting it back together. I just don't remember where it was called for. I thought it was all blue Loctite.

Rick

Rick
I'm in the middle of mine also. Haven't seen where the red Loctite is needed either. Let us know. Hoping to get the cams done this weekend and the jugs and pistons in also. You definately can't be the customer support from Steve.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
JCW
Thanks for the right up i plan on doing this build in a couple of weeks. How much of a pain were the cams? did you need special tools for them?

·
Just the facts ma'am
96 Posts
I haven't finished my build yet but so far red locktite was needed to install the outer gears on the rear cam and crankpin.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Excellent write up Jcw. I really wish I had the money to do the 98" when I did my build a couple years back...but I still managed to make a good ammount of pep out of my bike.

As for the bitch of a time you had draining fuel from your tank, I suggest for all those people working on their own bikes, to buy a quick disconnect fitting to put in the crossover fuel line. Then you just disconnect unbolt and remove....no more fuel draining.

I bought mine through this website: http://www.ferracci.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=27

The chrome plated brass looks to be a great unit...and replaces a cheaper version made of nylon that I had on there before.

A couple pics for you.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Jason,

Thank you for the comments, I knew you where more than able to get the job done. No problem with phone calls to get you ar anyone ontothe next step, that is what I am here for.

Red loctite is for the cam bolts as Joe stated, as well the forward control "if removed" , saftey first, no reasonto have a framed mounted bracket fall off while riding.

Tools I have a few 3/8 tq wrenchs that are a nice tool with a 0-80 ftlbs range that would cover all your TQ specs to build the engine. They are not very exspensive and will offer years of service. I am adding these to the list of tools that I currently sell.

Instructions sheets are getting better all the time I contuine to add to them with tips and such to be more helpfull where the manual leaves off.

As far as cost on the kits that is going to vary depending on what you are looking to do. Feel free to contant me via phone or e-mail and I will behappy to discuss you new build and make sure that we at GMR get you setup with a package that best suits YOUR needs.

And Jason waiting on seeing a picture with smoke rolling off the rear tire. It would get you a free tee shirt with Rev on it. Lets see those 98 pictures.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Yea Hag, Feracci has several listed. What are the exact specs of yours? They look like 5/16 male and female, is that right?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
98" build

Thanks for all the feedback. I've been gone, but think most of the questions have been answered.

The Cams were simple, but then I sent my cam plate (with old cams still in) to GMR and had then remove and re-install the new ones. So, all I had to do was bolt it back on (no pressing tools, etc required).

I took pics at various stages of the process and will take a few more when I get the bike cleaned up. After that, you'll need to send me a t-shirt, Steve

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks! That's a great idea. Wish I'd have known sooner!

Seahag said:
Excellent write up Jcw. I really wish I had the money to do the 98" when I did my build a couple years back...but I still managed to make a good ammount of pep out of my bike.

As for the bitch of a time you had draining fuel from your tank, I suggest for all those people working on their own bikes, to buy a quick disconnect fitting to put in the crossover fuel line. Then you just disconnect unbolt and remove....no more fuel draining.

I bought mine through this website: http://www.ferracci.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=27

The chrome plated brass looks to be a great unit...and replaces a cheaper version made of nylon that I had on there before.

A couple pics for you.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, one more thing.

I'm still playing around with that total fuel DFO. I think the bike runs strong now, but really have no comparison base (other than from my stock set up) so not sure if it's optimum or not.

On the same note, I don't really notice too much difference when adjusting the DFO settings. It almost seems as though the bike runs the same regardless of setting type. I'm certain I've got it connected right at they appear to come monkey proof from the factory and there are no "fault" lights.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
wkohn said:
Jason,

Thanks for writing this all down. I am looking at doing this build but need to save up my pennies. Need to save up more because of not having torque wrenches and some of the other tools.

Bill
Bill,

If you're thinking of doing this yourself - I'm quite willing to help. I've also got both ft lbs and in lbs torque wrenches.

GC

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,645 Posts
FXDRYDR said:
Bill,

If you're thinking of doing this yourself - I'm quite willing to help. I've also got both ft lbs and in lbs torque wrenches.

GC
Thanks,

I may take you up on that because I am planning on doing it myself. Right now business has to improve a lot for me to have the money to do it. I am hoping this happens by December. This auto slum is killing my bottom line. :badmood: The only good thing this week is that I have been out on the bike making sales call. 250 miles in two days.

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Geezer-Glide said:
Yea Hag, Feracci has several listed. What are the exact specs of yours? They look like 5/16 male and female, is that right?
Yeah...I just called up their number and they asked me which size line I was using. They fed-ex ground shipped it and I had it in two days.

·
Registered
206 Posts
jcw said:
Thanks for all the feedback. I've been gone, but think most of the questions have been answered.

The Cams were simple, but then I sent my cam plate (with old cams still in) to GMR and had then remove and re-install the new ones. So, all I had to do was bolt it back on (no pressing tools, etc required).

I took pics at various stages of the process and will take a few more when I get the bike cleaned up. After that, you'll need to send me a t-shirt, Steve
Who did the inner cam bearings?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
harleyhinzy said:
Who did the inner cam bearings?

If you're referring to the inner cam needle bearings, I left the originals in. I didn't have the tool for that so I checked around and their failure seems not to be an issue.
Of course, I hope thats true:)

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
98" build

Jason;

Great post. :thumbsup: Just sent of my check to GMR on Thursday. Can't wait for parts to be delivered. :whistle: Did you rent the tools from Steve to do the build, or use what you had (or purchased)?

Mike
Soon to be 98" build, TW37G, Diamond Cut.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts