V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Lazy 98
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally "jumped off a cliff" and took apart my perfectly good motor with less than 3,000 miles on it. I can't say that it was very difficult, but it did take all day. The two most frustrating things were popping my V&H header out (it's a force-fit to get around the floorboard mount) and that @#$%^ crossover pipe on the gas tank (I got gas everywhere- there's got to be a better way!). I took digital pics of what I did along the way, and I offer a CD copy to anyone who cares, for free, when this thing's finished. Maybe HDWRENCH can use it to make a step-by-step for rookies like me, 'cause he gets the first copy, as my supplier.

Now, my overriding question is... after all this hassle, am I doing enough to make it worthwhile? The last thing I want to do is spend this kinda $$ and then feel like I should have gone "just a little" further. Any suggestions (or should I just shaddup and ride)?

On order:
98" kit with 9.7:1 comp.
W37G cam with gear drive, upgraded lifters and stock pushrods
Stock '06 heads, worked over by GMR (stage 1?)
Mikuni 42mm
Crane HI 4
misc parts and hardware to support the above
existing V&H Propipe

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Mike, you will soon learn that with scooters it's the same theory as "you can never be too rich or too thin." Just a little further ALWAYS pops up, ususally about three weeks after you've finished a build! You'll be so happy with the changes your scoot makes, you won't believe it. I didn't! Just don't go Jekyll/Hyde on us and start drooling......" cams....turbos...... MORE POWER!!!!!!"

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Pain in the ass geting the cross over off. I ended up pulling the left pipe between engine and frame. Got to be a better way.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
After the way GEEZER left me at a redlight i'm sure you'll be happy.

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
Do the Basiley spring, for sure.

Might think about roller rockers, SE clutch spring and reduced effort cable adapter. These are not hard to put in and don't cost much.

Chris

·
Lazy 98
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the encouragement. I do trust Steve's expertise, but my mind just starts rumbling when I'm working alone on something. Plus, a lot of you have done a whole lot with your machines that sound like a lot of fun. One of these days...(probably after a few more grey hairs, and a few more $'s saved).

BTW I do have a stiffer oil spring coming and my 06 came stock with a reduced-effort clutch pull. I'll ask about the SE clutch spring-- either now, or after i burn the stock stuff out. I'll know better when I get back on the road.

Aloha,

Mike
%[email protected]

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I have complete SE clutch packs, they work great with the 06 reduced effort set up. Drop me a line we can add that, the Roller rockers are not really needed for your set upthe 37g cam is very mild and with the low lift and gentle ramp angle you will not have any issue with incorrect geometry, There is a small amount of free hp to be had with rollers, But I think you would be hard pressed to feel it. On a full drag engine you pull out the stops and open your wallet and just tell your self it will be all worth it. Worth for a drag bike, that is LOL I am glad I only wrench on one and dont own it. At 30 K a engine and you break the first time up makes for a bad day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts