V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Who? Me?
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pics of my 98" build in various stages. Going slow, but Im taking my time and trying not to screw anything up. Wish I had taken more pics, especially of the cam area. HDWRENCH has been extremely helpful in answering all of my stupid questions.

·
Who? Me?
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
A few more pics. Im hoping to get it finished up soon, but its pretty cold today and I dont know how much more LP fumes from the heater I can stand. Looking for alternative heat sources.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
:yikes: Looking good!!!!! give me a call when you fire it up. dont forget about the heat cycle thing. Talk to you later. P.S. you did not have nay stupid questions all where fine , give me a call if you need any more help.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
When you see the pictures, it's apparent how much guts it takes to strip down a brand new bike in your garage. Bet your wife and/or family was happy! Did the same thing to my 2004 the winter I bought it (95" kit). I've been going ever since with more additions (not satisfied with 95" and going for 98" per HDwrench). It's really addictive. Enjoy

Cliff

·
Who? Me?
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today I was re-reading the cam chest section in the factory manual just to make sure I didnt forget anything and I just dont remember final torqueing the oil pump bolts to 90 in. Im pretty sure I left them at 45 in. Guess Ill have to pull the cover of and re-do them just to be sure, which means the large cam gear has to come off. Any suggestions as to how to pull that gear?

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
a small puller like a harmonic balancer puller will work or you could warm the gear and get it to slip off. maybe something to pry at it , be careful. Warming the gear should get it to slip off. Most times I can use my hands with it warm, and a glove LOL

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
HarleyHeevo said:
Today I was re-reading the cam chest section in the factory manual just to make sure I didnt forget anything and I just dont remember final torqueing the oil pump bolts to 90 in. Im pretty sure I left them at 45 in. Guess Ill have to pull the cover of and re-do them just to be sure, which means the large cam gear has to come off. Any suggestions as to how to pull that gear?
If you don't have a puller handy you can put a 1/4-20 bolt in each of the threaded holes in the gear. Run them in with your fingers till they touch the cam plate. Back them off a bit and put a feeler gauge or a small wood shim between the bolt and cam plate to keep the bolt from marring the cam plate. Tighten each bolt a little bit at a time (like an 1/8 of a turn) and the gear will come off easily.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Great idea you could use a a chunk of oil qt bottle plastic as well if you do not have wood slim enough, and do not want to damage a feeler gauge

·
Who? Me?
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great advice, Ill give it a shot. Next time Ill pay more attention. :RTFB: Thanks again.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Looks awesome thanks for sharing Giving me some ideas for next winter already ENJOY !!!!!

·
Who? Me?
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ive had it on a Craftsman lift for most of the build. Its by no means the table lift I would like to have, but thats a ways down the road. My current lift is okay but I dont like to leave it there for long periods of time, so I set it down and move it out of the way when Im not working on the bike. Still get both cars in the garage that way.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
HarleyHeevo said:
Ive had it on a Craftsman lift for most of the build. Its by no means the table lift I would like to have, but thats a ways down the road. My current lift is okay but I dont like to leave it there for long periods of time, so I set it down and move it out of the way when Im not working on the bike. Still get both cars in the garage that way.

You sound like you have the same situation I have. I love my craftsman lift. I have also been looking at one of those table lifts that rolls up and flat against the wall when you are finished using it. I was worried about it being wobbly but I have been told it's very secure. One day I'd like to build a small 24 x 24 shop just for bikes. For now my garage does triple duty, cars, shop and wifes clutter!:crying:

·
Who? Me?
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rickr01 said:
: I was worried about it being wobbly but I have been told it's very secure. :
I did leave it up on the lift (with straps) for a few days but taking it off the lift helped me to feel like I was making some progress along with the fact that it just makes me nervous to see it sitting up in the air like that. Thats where a table would be nice. Put it up there and leave it till you are finished. It will be going back up Friday afternoon, and I hope to finish up by Sat. evening.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
HarleyHeevo said:
I did leave it up on the lift (with straps) for a few days but taking it off the lift helped me to feel like I was making some progress along with the fact that it just makes me nervous to see it sitting up in the air like that. Thats where a table would be nice. Put it up there and leave it till you are finished. It will be going back up Friday afternoon, and I hope to finish up by Sat. evening.

I understand how you feel. My last post however was regarding one of those roll against the wall full lift tables. Have you seen one? I wonder how stable it is. A I mentioned, somone told me they are real stable and good for those of us limited on space. I'll see if I can find a link.

Rick

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
so heevo...is the build buttoned up yet.....curious of the first ride impressions....you going to have it dynotuned.....would love to see the sheet....the 98 rev kits really impress me.....thanks

·
Who? Me?
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have seen those Kendon lifts advertised in the magazines that Harley sends out. They look pretty good and the price is not all that bad, although Ive spent as much on the bike as Im going to be able to for awhile. Build is not yet complete as Ive only been able to work on it during the weekend here and there. Im not in a big hurry as I seem to screw things up if Im not real careful and the weather has been crap here. I am getting excited about firing it up and will do my best to get it buttoned up before we head to the in-laws in Austin next week. Im trying to get my hands on a SERT map to at least start out with and then have it dyno tuned after break in.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts