V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Addicted to American Iron
Joined
·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok had it dyno tuned yesterday. I am going to also go with a new 48mm throttle body, ported intake, and slightly better injectors. But the cam's torque rise is fantastic and it holds it there well into the power band. I Went on a 300 mile plus trip today with my wife on back and pulling my barrel trailer that is 262# empty. All in all a lot of weight and I ran it 75mph and + with zero power issues. Lots of torque to pass at will and get me on the hwy fast. But looking for more torque in a cost effective way....I have another set of heads that have the larger valves in them and a true professional port done on them. Just looking to see what you think???

2002 EFI Ultra
98ci
Stage 1 download with PCIII custom map
K&N
Custom grind based off HQ 0039 Cams .550 lift
2005 heads (Ported them myself) .600 springs
Roller rockers
Adj push Rods
Baisley spring
Wild Pigs Slip-ons
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
Kind of curious myself. expecting 100/90+. But shouldn't get caught up in #s. Sounds like you got the power you wanted.
 

·
Addicted to American Iron
Joined
·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well going with the new heads and 48.5mm throttle body. if I can find a deal on injectors I will do them also.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
Off topic. How does the 95 compare to 98? The 95 you have is in a lighter bike, does it make a lot of difference. What I am getting at is 98 tourer faaster then lighter 95??
 

·
Infidel
Joined
·
1,428 Posts
Dave, your injectors aren't holding you back none, they're good to at least 120HP. Larger injectors will make your low RPM and idle a nightmare to tune. I think they'll be a waste of $$ unless you're going to stroke it big.
 

·
Addicted to American Iron
Joined
·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
berserker said:
Off topic. How does the 95 compare to 98? The 95 you have is in a lighter bike, does it make a lot of difference. What I am getting at is 98 tourer faaster then lighter 95??
Two very different setups. The 95 is much faster and much more torque than the 98. But there is quite a bit more $$ in the 95 engine. Now this 98 compared to the 95 that was on this Ultra before does seem to have a better seat of the pants feel. But that old 95 engine was dying right from the start and did not live long.

Gulfstream said:
Dave, your injectors aren't holding you back none, they're good to at least 120HP. Larger injectors will make your low RPM and idle a nightmare to tune. I think they'll be a waste of $$ unless you're going to stroke it big.
Probably very sound advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,589 Posts
Gulfstream's statement sounds familiar, but it sure is true. Nothing to be gained with different injectors. You are tuned very rich and there is more to be had from that set up with just what you have in there, assuming you didn't get too crazy with your own port job. Should be well into the 90's on HP should crack the 100 mark for TQ assuming you are at 10 to 1 or so compression.

And I happen to have an old Gerolamy / Delphi TB on the shelf that was bored to 48mm. Need to match your manifold to it though as I don't have the matching manifold with it. Take it for $100 if you're interested.
 

·
IronButt
Joined
·
6,364 Posts
Ok here is what we have found on the Bored T/B we take a stock unit and funnel bore it to 48 but you must do the intake at same time to match then as a unit. We have picked up in the area of 4-5 on both with the larger t/b. But what we really liked was that we dropped close to a 1/2 second off the dyno pull. All we really did was allow the engine to inhale air faster. The bike had a "felt" huge power increase. The bike would rev faster and it is able to get into the tq curve faster. Stock injectors are good for 165 hp. As I am still running my stock injectors. I am running increased fuel psi but still stock stock injectors. I run 67lbs of fuel psi on the 54 MM zipper units.


Dave

I was not able to read the sheet you sent me but with that curve you are leaving a at least 7/7 on the table

The stock V-rod system with out doing anything to is will runs at 180 hp on stock items!!!! I like the v-rod and a turbo whooooooossssssshhhhhhhh
 

·
Addicted to American Iron
Joined
·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
HDWRENCH said:
Ok here is what we have found on the Bored T/B we take a stock unit and funnel bore it to 48 but you must do the intake at same time to match then as a unit. We have picked up in the area of 4-5 on both with the larger t/b. But what we really liked was that we dropped close to a 1/2 second off the dyno pull. All we really did was allow the engine to inhale air faster. The bike had a "felt" huge power increase. The bike would rev faster and it is able to get into the tq curve faster. Stock injectors are good for 165 hp. As I am still running my stock injectors. I am running increased fuel psi but still stock stock injectors. I run 67lbs of fuel psi on the 54 MM zipper units.


Dave

I was not able to read the sheet you sent me but with that curve you are leaving a at least 7/7 on the table

The stock V-rod system with out doing anything to is will runs at 180 hp on stock items!!!! I like the v-rod and a turbo whooooooossssssshhhhhhhh
I am convinced I need a 48mm throttle body for my 98ci Ultra. I have an actual good set of heads with over size valves in it that I am going to put on this bike once I get a throttle body manifold set up. Dyno sheet is posted at the start of this thread and in the dyno section. I converted it to a Jpeg and will re-send it to you. Do you have a manifold thats been bored to sell me? Grocks TB for $100 is a hell of a deal.....even for one such as I who is slow on the uptake.
 

·
Addicted to American Iron
Joined
·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
GRock said:
Gulfstream's statement sounds familiar, but it sure is true. Nothing to be gained with different injectors. You are tuned very rich and there is more to be had from that set up with just what you have in there, assuming you didn't get too crazy with your own port job. Should be well into the 90's on HP should crack the 100 mark for TQ assuming you are at 10 to 1 or so compression.

And I happen to have an old Gerolamy / Delphi TB on the shelf that was bored to 48mm. Need to match your manifold to it though as I don't have the matching manifold with it. Take it for $100 if you're interested.
Sent you a PM......the tuner left a lot to be desired in this ordeal...... In the end i left pleased with what I got....had to take a chill pill. Problem is there are only a couple of dynos in this area...Topeka HD I refuse to use and Salina where I had this done is my only 100 mile radius option. Call me optimistic but I would just cream myself if I could in the 110 Torque area. I did not take too much off the heads I have......what learned I learned from reading and watching BigBoyz port heads on the webcam (TY). First time doing and it was actually at lot of fun......must of at least done ok to get what I did get.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
Out of curosity have you seen dynos at 110tq for your build? What is the CR?
Steve what do you expect?
 

·
Addicted to American Iron
Joined
·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
berserker said:
Out of curosity have you seen dynos at 110tq for your build? What is the CR?
Steve what do you expect?
CR 9.7:1.......Not saying I will get 110 but thats the goal.....I know my self ported heads are a factor in the number I got....but the dyno guy is a lso a factor as GRock has pointed out.
 

·
43 Fuel Curves
Joined
·
819 Posts
Ok, if you don't have a good tuner in your area:
1) You could try a DTT TCFI II or
2) Get a SERT and DTT Twin Scan 88+ Kit

Who did the other set of heads?

What other differences are there from the custom grind based off HQ 0039 Cams other than .550 lift?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
I got the 9.7cr. The #s don't mean alot to me, since I have not rode other HDs to compare too. For me I just want a hell of gain. Going for 88 stage I, I just hope its like holy sh&t.
 

·
Addicted to American Iron
Joined
·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Antonio: Oh I am just biased.......... as I think the dyno guy there Kent aided in the untimely death of my first engine failue back in 8/05. Could be wrong but I just choose to do business elsewhere now.

Beserker: you will notice a hell of a gain

We will see let me get the new heads on and the TB set up and re-tuned and I will just ask them to work on the A/F issue for me.

I like the cam grind....only very slightly longer intake and exhaust duration from the HQ0039 cams. I actually have a set of of true HQ 0039 gear drive cams I was thinking of putting in.

Staying with the PCIII as I have it already.......maybe not the right choice but ........
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top