V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a 97 Sportster.
Runs good most of the time, but every now and then it cuts out on me.
Tach jumps around. Misses and Backfires. Sometimes dies altogher, other times just limps. I think the lights go out as well, but hard to tell as you are coasting out of traffic.

Flip the ignition off/on, restart and all is well.

Battery OK. All cables and ground look OK. I'm thinking ignition switch.

Anybody got ideas or experience? Any help appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
mike612 said:
Got a 97 Sportster.
Runs good most of the time, but every now and then it cuts out on me.
Tach jumps around. Misses and Backfires. Sometimes dies altogher, other times just limps. I think the lights go out as well, but hard to tell as you are coasting out of traffic.

Flip the ignition off/on, restart and all is well.

Battery OK. All cables and ground look OK. I'm thinking ignition switch.

Anybody got ideas or experience? Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Faulty ignition switch general works or doent and the quickest way to tell is to turn the motor on and wiggle around to see if this is it.

Check all your wires that are close to the frame particularly around the seat area as you may have a wire thats rubbed through and is earthing intermitantly.

Check your relay connections and swap them around to see if they faulty.

Lastly check the wiring on the tach itself as this is no doubt an after market product.

Actually thinking about it more, I believe it is the tacho or the wiring associated with it.

All the best, Ozzie

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Swapped the ignition switch

The bike has been gone for a while now. Last thing I tried was a new ignition switch. Couldn't make it fail but I took a shot. Since it was intermittent I am not sure, but it did not fail in the little time before I sold the bike.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hello,

I had the same fuckin' problem with my 99 Sportster. If speedo bounces around I bet it is a bad negative battery cable!!!!

Take out battery and have a close look to the battery cables especially the negative one. It is very short and not flexible enough so it breaks and it has bad contact. Replace it with a flexible silicon cable which is a little longer also!

Sven

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have to agree with Ozzie on this one. I have seen this a lot. Usually its a bad ignition switch. Do an ohms test on it. The other thing as ozzie mentioned is a bad tach. Simply unhook the tach and ride, that would be the simple thing. But ohms test that switch, very common.

·
scooter coot
321 Posts
Had a problem like this once on my '95 sporty. Turns out the negative cable was dirty at the battery connection, and was arching to the rear jug. Cleaned it up and all was good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts