V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I'm planning to upgrade my 88TC to a 95 this winter. My budget is tight, so I need to use my existing jugs. I'm sure most of you already know that there are some shops who also offer a 97" or a 98" bore to the original jugs. I'd love to squeeze out a few more cubes, but not at the expense of reliability issues. That being said, my question is this; Have any of you guys done the 97 or 98 to your existing jugs? If yes, then would you recommend it? or should I stick with the time proven 95? Thanks an advance for your feed back.

·
Fastest Chkn N the South!
897 Posts
Matty, I have a GMR 98" stock cylinder setup in the works so I started this thread...

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112530

There aren't many here that have this size bore yet on their stock cylinders but as you'll see, I'm not going to be the only one.

BTW, I'll keep ya'll well posted as to how mine turns out and how it's running on down the road.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you ready to fire it up?

Yes, I'd be very interested in your progress so I'll keep track of your thread. I'll think your right that a lot of us are waiting for 98" success stories before we commit. Hopefully, a year from now everyone will be doing it. When do you think you'll be ready to fire it up? Hope it goes well.

·
Fastest Chkn N the South!
897 Posts
Hopefully tommorrow or the next day. <fingers crossed>

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Colonel Sanders said:
Matty, I have a GMR 98" stock cylinder setup in the works so I started this thread...

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112530

There aren't many here that have this size bore yet on their stock cylinders but as you'll see, I'm not going to be the only one.

BTW, I'll keep ya'll well posted as to how mine turns out and how it's running on down the road.
I had my ebay jugs bored 95ci+.020 so I guese thats a 97ci. It cost me an extra $30 but I made up for it with the price of the pistons (cheap!) The way I look at it is Harley offers its 95ci pistons in .020 over so they must have factored this bore in:hmmm: I HOPE

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
I would only bore to 95" if you have budget problems. You could get some cylinders that can not really be bored to 98" specs. These specs are as far as they can go. There is nothing wrong with that, but the cylinders could have problems and then you would have to spend more money to get others. i think that the piston for the 95" is more common and should be cheaper. I recommend KBs because they can be tighter and have larger valve reliefs.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
hugie03flhr said:
I had my ebay jugs bored 95ci+.020 so I guese thats a 97ci. It cost me an extra $30 but I made up for it with the price of the pistons (cheap!) The way I look at it is Harley offers its 95ci pistons in .020 over so they must have factored this bore in:hmmm: I HOPE
actally the .020 over is more of a true 95" which comes out to 95.07"
also while were on the subject and please interate here if I'm wrong but from the reaserch I'm doing which is the same as the rest of you are doing getting the best and most bang for my buck this is what I came up with...

Working with a 4.0" stroke and various bore dia. which are available heres some equacions for you to ponder...

3.875 = 94.3" cast or forged
3.880 = 94.5" cast or forged
3.885 = 94.83" cast or forged
3.890 = 95.07" cast or forged true 95"
3.915 = 96.3" AMS KB Pistons cast true 96" Hyperectics (spelling?)
3.932 = 97.14" Axtell - forged only true 97"
3.937 = 97.38" Axtell - forged only slightly over 97 3/8" nowhere near 98

I'm not sure what GMR is offering in bore dia. but if your looking for a true 98" then it would need to be
3.949 = 97.98
or
3.950 = 98.03
I to would like to see what the long term effects of the 98" bored into a stock barrel are however if the bore dia. is like the 3.937 dia. then I'm only paying for a 97 3/8" and not a ?
Axtell sells the pistons seperatly and have your local indy shop bore them and your good to go with a true 97".

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/calc_displacement.htm

heres a link to engine displacement where I got the #'s.

paul

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
98" cylinders

We are in the tail end of a 98" build, with our heads, Bob Wood #6 cam, stock cv carb, it came in with a older Pro Pipe, and a Crane ignition box. We will be happy to alert you folks as to how the little bolt-in cam, works once again, with our heads in this combo.
Scott

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
OEM Cylinders

MattyD said:
Scott, did this 98" use the original HD jugs?
Yes, the stock seasoned cylinders were bored to accept the 3 15/16" pistons.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts