V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi names seth and am new to the harley world, last sunday i bought a 1997 wide glide. so i have some questions, it seems to have alot of custom upgrades such as inverted forks, exhaust, drag bars and so on. it also has edlebrock performer heads, cams and adjustable push rods and 200mm rear tire kit. anyway my question is there any special maintenance to do for any of these upgrades? also what kind of performance above stock do you think the motor upgrades provided? sorry for all the questions but the dealer didnt know much about what had been done and well neither do i. thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would recommend that you get a service manual and follow it for the service schedule. You will have to get specific information about the the forks fluid capacity if you are going to maintain that. The 200mm should have a tire pressure recommended somewhere. Yo may want to take it to the dealer and have a Dyno run and compare the readings to the stock. Don't be too shocked if they re a little lower than expected until you get a good tune on the engine. Look at the carb setting the blueing on the header may indicate a lean condition. Enjoy and make it yours.

·
WideGlide Rider
369 Posts
Why not get the orig owner back on the phone and get the lowdown on the details you hadn't considered at the point of purchase? Congrats! nice bike. How much did you pay if you dont mind me askin? Mileage?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nice looking bike, same year as mine, altho mines pretty stock...41,000 miles and still looks good....as said, get a manual (H-D) and a parts book too if you can...:)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I agree about getting with the original owner. Don't much about the edelbrock heads myself and the original owner should have all specs on that plus what size cam was installed. I have doubts about the drag bars personally. You lose some handling with the drag bars. Plus, as a "new" rider you will find that drag bars will cause the bike to go in the direction you are looking so that if you're not totally watching the road and glance at scenery or whatever the bike tends to go in the direction. That's just my experience. Buckhorns, mini apes, etc. makes enhances handling over drag bars.
Still, a cool looking wideglide.

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
Agree with getting yourself a manual, you will learn a lot about your bike.

Not sure the details about what parts, but you are likely getting something like 70hp, and about the same torque. That pipe is cool, but I doubt its working well with that engine. Big open pipes are good for who top end, but suck at the lower end. I first had a thunder header (which had a nice deep note, but was way loud) on my 97 WG, and now I have the Vance and Hines Pro Pipe which performs really well out of the hole and isn't as loud. Works really well with that engine.

I don't have bars as flat as yours, I have Deuce bars on mine and I love the way it handles.

Just enjoy it and make it your own. Here's mine

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
It looks like someone stole a 08 (up) Fat Bob and put the parts on your WG. Risers, bars, headlights, mirrors, rear struts, rear shocks, rear fender, taillight light and turn signals all the way around look as if they come off the Fat Bob.

As mentioned above, I would call the original owner and get the specifics of what is inside that machine.

By the way, nice bike and welcome to the forums.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts