V-Twin Forum banner

97 fatboy value input please

2K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  razz 
#1 ·
need some input on a bike im thinkin of getting..its a 97 fatboy in good shape,vance pipes,lottsa chrome..it has a few miles on it 30,000..guys leaving the island and needs a quick sale..what do you think this bikes worth? is there a site that gives proper pricing?this is more than i wanted to spend on my first harley but i will sell my vette if need to if the deal is right :rolleyes: i figure i could get it for $13,000 ...maybe a few bucks less..is that an unreal price or just the norm? any input apprieciated..thanx all

#4 ·
$15470

Suggested Retail represents the price a dealership might ask for this make and model. The retail price is not a trade-in or private-party value, but rather assumes that a dealer has absorbed the cost of making the unit ready for sale, advertising, sales commissions, arranging financing and insurance and standing behind the unit for any mechanical or safety problems. Suggested retail represents a fully reconditioned unit in excellent condition, with all original standard equipment. Mileage/condition and additional equipment may have a substantial impact on the value shown above. Actual dealer selling price may vary from this price.

....got anybody that can check it for ya? Will the guy let you take it to the local mechanic/dealer for a once over? He's leaving the ISLAND, so you are basically buyong as-is. How well do you know, trust the seller?

.....you gotta make the decision Bro.

#5 ·
15,470!!!! Theres no way a 5 year old evo bone shaking 30,000 mile Fatboy would be worth more than it cost new. I know what was said. IMO a 97 Fatboy W/ 3,000 miles mint ant worth that eather.

Offer him 10 large, if he's needs to sell whats he going to say?.

#6 ·
Kags said:
15,470!!!! Theres no way a 5 year old evo bone shaking 30,000 mile Fatboy would be worth more than it cost new. I know what was said. IMO a 97 Fatboy W/ 3,000 miles mint ant worth that eather.

Offer him 10 large, if he's needs to sell whats he going to say?.
..don't getcha undies ina bunchies Bro, that the BLUE BOOK VALUE. Maybe true that these damn things hold their value......check one of the links.

#7 ·
Assuming the bike is mechanically sound, and you can get it for $13K, BUY IT!

A friend of mine just returned from the Islands. He was telling me that bikes sell at a premium, making the $13K sound even better.

Now, a last thought: a bike is worth what someone will pay for it. Will you pay kkb for it? Or only $13K?

Let us know what you do.

#8 ·
wow..lottsa opinion, thanx all..yes bikes do sell at a premium here but its a catch 22 ,i find one on the mainland for a good deal and the shipping costs bring it to par..called the guy a few min. ago and asked where he got that price..hehe,sure enough he says kelly blue book..i told him to check out the nada link to help in my favor ,and i think the 10k is where i will start tommorrow..thanx again will post with a follow-up

#10 ·
Trust me, and ex EVO softail guy who went to a Twin-Cam B softail, spend the same or a little more and GET A TWIN CAM B FATBOY!

Big Diff!!! :)

And after spending eight years Stationed at Barbers Point NAS (no longer there but...) Head out to Japan or Guam on a space A flight and buy a new Harley at over sea sales for 18K !!!

Just an ideal :D

#11 ·
15 anything is too much for a 6 year old bike that cost about 15 something new. Forget that "book" business. You can get a better story from Dr. Seuss. The market's flooded. That bike's only worth what somebody is willing to pay. A smart man would wave about 11 or 12 thousand if front of the seller and shop on if he doesn't take it. The seller needs to figure in how much of a loss he is willing to take for 6 years of riding.

#12 ·
go to www.traderonline.com and plug in the info on the bike and compare that to what you are thinking of offering. This is a place to compare what's really out there, not what folks think it should be.They (HD's) do hold there value and I have to disagree with the previous post, because 6 years ago these bikes were selling for a premium- msrp+++, and a lot of the condition of the bike, mods made, ect will change the value- the stocker the better (you won't be buying someone's screw ups) exhaust doesn't really matter, but high compression, shaved heads ect. would make me leery thinking the bike's been flogged. There are folks out there who are still not sold on the new twin cam notors being the best thing out there and are willing to pay for a nice evo.

#14 ·
can u get some pics sent to me via e-mail wyodude? really aprieciate it..howzit look? im going to look at the 97 tonight since the guy wasnt able to show it to me yet..
my friend is getting a west cost chopper made and offered to sell his 2002 to me for 18k but i cant really afford it..he has about an extra 22k into it in parts and chrome..its unreal for the price he offered me..anyone else he wants 22k for it and thats still a deal.. wish i had an extra 5k any donations availible hehe lol..

#15 ·
razz said:
can u get some pics sent to me via e-mail wyodude? really aprieciate it..howzit look? im going to look at the 97 tonight since the guy wasnt able to show it to me yet..
my friend is getting a west cost chopper made and offered to sell his 2002 to me for 18k but i cant really afford it..he has about an extra 22k into it in parts and chrome..its unreal for the price he offered me..anyone else he wants 22k for it and thats still a deal.. wish i had an extra 5k any donations availible hehe lol..
Its a black 00 fatty. The pic looks clean, but I'll track the f*cker down tomorrow and see about some pics.

If yer bro has an 02 Harley with $22K extra in parts (18K + 22K = 40K) and he'll let you have it for $18K BUY IT!

wyo

#16 ·
Buy a bike for what the bikes worth. All the crap somebody bolts on to make his work of art don't make it a masterpiece. Anybody who pays or paid more than MSRP for a new bike got ripped off. Don't let him pass the ripping off down to you. The" they hold their value 100% dream "is over. Where I live, I see people with Twin Cam bikes selling for around 14K. Evos are going for about 12K. When you look at traderonline, realize those are asking prices only. Cash talks when it's waved in front of some RUB whose been trying to sell a bike for a year with no luck. If any of you guys want to buy used bikes for new prices give me a call I be glad get rich off of ya. LOL.

#17 ·
xxxflhrci
I don't think you're gonna get any takers here for the overpriced used bikes:D

Hey you make good points, and I agree with a lot of it. But for a minute, realize this dude is in Hawaii. You just don't say fu(k it and go to the next dealer. You don't just up and ship one over there either. So let's try and offer advise that he can use across the pond. Hell, he very well may not even buy the bike he mentioned at the beginning of this thread, but at least he has something to go on.

MSRP, overpriced customs and the like is the Buyers choice/decision. A bike, any bike is what that person is willing to pay. That doesn't make them a moron or screwed. Just my penny worth, and like everyone else except the Dude spending the bucks, only my opinion.

#18 ·
I still see Harley-Davidson's holding there re-sale value very well. And believe they will continue to do so. If its new enough to be a twin cam and selling for 12, let me know. I can afford to sit on that for a little while.

#19 ·
i wish i could it's just too much money for me//..he said to give him the 10k i have and pay him what i can each month but being one of my good friends i just dont feel comfertable doing that..lost too many friends over lending them money ect...but its such a good deal its hard not too...hmmm..lots of lost sleep with dreams of harleys in my mind....

#20 ·
just a little info for the mailanders..a new harley 2003 is going for 22k bare bones over here..well thats the asking price,crazy since msrp is less than 16K,thats the problem with buying new over here..now theres only a few dealers selling harleys and right now 2 don't even have a fat boy left in stock,see my position a little better now i bet;)
hog 831 must know this as he pointed it out...so please do keep this in mind and thanx again for all the great input,keep it coming.. :D

#22 ·
Ok, I've seen enough.

Dude DON'T BUY THE BIKE! You will be sorry if you do.

Look at ya! Asking all this stuff of wanting to see pictures of a bike in Virginia when you are on the rock?

That tells me you have yet to fall in love with the bike.

I would not pay $10k for something I did not love.

You are going to sell a Vette and you honestly don't even know why. If ya did, some of the questions you have would not be there.

Look at the bike and to hell with what anyone else thinks.

Is it worth $10k to ya? Pay it.

$12K TO YOU? Pay it.

If you cannot look at it and honestly say you have to have it, keep the Vette and buy a lot of TACOS. ;)

#23 ·
Thealien said:
razz, good luck no matter what you do and I hope you are in the wind soon on the bike of your choice. How much is shipping to hawaii ??? I thought about $1000 to 1500 dollars. It might still be worth keeping your options open !!!
shipping a car is only $800 so im assuming A BIKE IS AROUND THE SAME...but getting someone to ship[ it is always the real problem) and making sure it arrives the same way it left...

#25 ·
2Deuce, got a buddy that bought a 99 Road King a short while ago for 12.5K. It had the usual stuff stuck on it. Only 12k miles. On the other hand got another buddy with a 00 Electra Glide Classic, fuel injected,two-tone, laced wheels, ect. Has extended warranty. He would take $14,500 for it.

#26 ·
checked out the 97fatboy finnally last night,beutiful bike..lottsa extra chrome added and in great shape..now the guy still here untill the end of this month so im not rushing anything..i let him know i thought the price was aa little high so he knows where i stand..he said another guy was coming back to give his asking price 13k so i said great,if it doesnt work out give me a shout..will let all know what happens
now a quick question about comfort,im a pretty big guy 6'2 and the shifter seemed to close and stuffed for me..is the seat position easily changed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.