V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like it says, I have a 97 evo magneti-marelli with a blowed head gasket. Only 36k miles. I am not much of a hotrodder any more, i was just running thru the gears at normal rpm shift points and the head gasket blew. Any thoughts as to why would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
First thought is one or more of the head bolts came loose. Along that same line, maybe the head bolts stayed tight but one or more of the cylinder studs backed out or pulled loose.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you two for your thoughts, I ended up taking it to hd dealer friday. I am so disappointed as i got a totally stock evo to avoid these kind of problems, it only has 36k miles and 23 years of reliability???? I will post what they find. I am thinking i myswell hop it up now that it has lost its As built cherry!!!!

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
They have two evos for sale on the showroom floor.... both are 97 Springer soft tail FL's
Selling them and working on them are totally different.

Not many dealers will work on a 20 yr old bike. Most of the OEM parts are obselete.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the bike back last week. Every thing went very well. Nothing stretched or broken. He checked stud bolts, cylinder/ring whare. Only new gaskets. the hold up was waiting on a Michelin tire as i had picked up a screw in the the rear tire and i did not want to run different brand tires. I will be switching back to Dunlap when i replace both at the same time. I do not like the the michlen because they hydroplane. Down here in s. Florida we get caught in the rain alot during the summer.
Thank y'all for your input, joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts