V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With more and more reports of excessive crank runout measurements, and now I've heard/know of one factory crank letting go, (albeit with 130HP on it's head). Does anyone know what the fixes are to beef these poor cranks up, is there an aftermarket yet.(S&S??)
I'm sure the OEM crank is good for stock, not so sure now if they will handle anything more than 100/100.
What can be done to the OEM crank, to basically bulletproof it.

·
Registered
621 Posts
stix68 said:
With more and more reports of excessive crank runout measurements, and now I've heard/know of one factory crank letting go, (albeit with 130HP on it's head). Does anyone know what the fixes are to beef these poor cranks up, is there an aftermarket yet.(S&S??)
I'm sure the OEM crank is good for stock, not so sure now if they will handle anything more than 100/100.
What can be done to the OEM crank, to basically bulletproof it.

Send it off to Darkhorse Crankworks to be proplugged and balanced (I had mine welded as well). If you really want a strong crank, buy the SE forged and have it worked over by Darkhorse. S&S makes a strong crank too, that's an option.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
I broke the crank in my Street Bob 2 weeks ago and i was putting 139hp on it. Gave up.

Went to install the 107kit in my '07 SGlide today and the crank on a bone stock SGlide with 6000miles was 24thou. Now have to get the warranty done and i will be installing a new bullet proof crank to handle the abuse. Not that happy that my bike will be done for another couple of weeks minimum, but at least they found the problem before they installed the 107 and i ended up with the same problem as the Dyna crank.
Would be a smart move to get your runout checked when you are getting cams and such

karlrockdrain

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
nc-renegade said:
Send it off to Darkhorse Crankworks to be proplugged and balanced (I had mine welded as well). If you really want a strong crank, buy the SE forged and have it worked over by Darkhorse. S&S makes a strong crank too, that's an option.
could you explain how PRO PLUG works? i would think it is a plug that presses so tight that it swells the pin so it wont allow wheel shift?????

thanks

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
what about Timken conversion? Would this help? Can you install Timken and still use stock cranK?
Sorta sucks, the advantage of 96" is it already stroked. I am not sure if I trust it. Wonder how these 103" bikes will hold up.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Cranks

Hoban Bros. (Darkhorse) does our T/C only work for us.
All other crank work has always been done in house.

·
Registered
621 Posts
claydbal said:
could you explain how PRO PLUG works? i would think it is a plug that presses so tight that it swells the pin so it wont allow wheel shift?????

thanks

That's the way I understand it. Mine was also welded at 3 and 9 o'clock positions. I don't worry about it anymore.

·
Registered
621 Posts
stix68 said:
S&S,SE make a forged crank for the 07-08 models??
I don't know, best to call S&S and ask them. Good folks to talk with. I would also give JIMS a call about their crank...that's the one I went with for my 2005. S&S's new crank was not available at the time.

Regards,
NC

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
You will get the same answer. Check the runout first. If you plan for more than 110/110, you should get the Timken replacement. If you are planning to go over 125/125, you should think about another crank. HD makes these to run with stock horsepower or with certain S.E. changes stage I, stage II, shouldn't have problems. But if you want to double the power, you need better parts.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
The Cvo guys have the runout problems the earliest and this is with pretty poor Tq/Hp numbers.Crank brgs ahve been revised sometime during production run in 07s and carried over the all 08s.Then Hd decides to change the runout specs to suit their needs.Gear driven cams on an 07 is just a wish for most.Cant wait to see how they weasel out of this one if it starts covering more bikes.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hillsidecycle.com said:
Hoban Bros. (Darkhorse) does our T/C only work for us.
All other crank work has always been done in house.
Scott, are you saying that the stock "96' crank can be made a lot stronger, what mods are required to do this. Might have to stay up late one night and give the Darkhorse crew a call i s'pose.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
stix68 said:
Scott, are you saying that the stock "96' crank can be made a lot stronger, what mods are required to do this. Might have to stay up late one night and give the Darkhorse crew a call i s'pose.
I think that the darkhorse crew can true up and weld and balance some stock cranks, but why would you when the aftermarket are so much better? The older stroker cranks are stronger also, you just have to find one.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanx route66paul, being downunder we are not as well updated. Guess your comment takes me back to my first question. What are the aftermarket options, the SE catalog has two cranks listed, P/No.23729-07 being stock in the 07-08 bikes. I checked the S&S 07 catalog, couldn't find anything listed for the 07-08 bikes. Just looking for some help finding the info.thanx again.
Stix

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
I believe that the old stroker crank will fit, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
54 Posts
So if you go to your HD Dealer for work and they find out your crank is out of spec...

Will they replace it? or wait for something to happen?

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
If the crank has more than 10thou run-out, according to the Harley bulletin,they are to replace the crank. This is whats supposedly will happen with my 2 x '07 bikes. I'm just waiting on dealer confirmation.

I will probably go with a CVO crank and then get it setup correctly by HDWrench at GMR. One less problem to worry about later when i start pounding on the Glide.

karlrockdrain

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
How many shops/dealers are going to telll someone not to do a big bore, cause the crank can't handle it? Alot of sales would be lost,withthe addtional cost to go in bottom end.

Maybe I am just paranoid.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
I think it will make not a ounce of difference to the Dealers. They win both ways- they get the BB install and if the crank is F#cked, then they are paid by HD to fix it. All coin to the shop.

karlrockdrain

1 - 20 of 21 Posts