V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bud has a new baby with the 96" motor. We went riding today and after the bike warmed up (about 5 miles or so) we stopped at the local HD shop and browsed around for some stuff.

When we got back on the bikes his took a few seconds after hitting the start button to fire up. So we rode on to the next stop (about 20 miles) and chatted with some fellow riders for about 20 minutes or so. Again several seconds of cranking and it started.

Off we go again and stopped for supper. Day turned to night and we out. His bike was cold to the touch and it fired right up.

We rode home and he cut off the bike and tried a restart, again had to turn over a few times and it fired up. His bike only has 1100 miles on it and sounds smooth.

So the question is, do the 96" have a starting "problem" when hot? I know that the Cop bikes at 103" are having new heads with compression releases put in voluntarily because of hot start issues.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The ECM has a "cranking fuel" table that determines how long the injectors stay open when you're starting the bike. The table is engine temperature dependant, and you typically get more fuel at colder temperatures. There may be some variation between models, but the table for an '07 Dyna has 12 temperatures ranging from -16° C to 160° C with injector on times ranging from 65 milliseconds to 17.9 milliseconds. As a result, your bike may start fine at 20° C (68° F) with the programmed injector on time but terrible at a different temperature with a different programmed injector on time. You can access the cranking fuel table with the SE Race Tuner and tune the injector on time to get instant starts at all temperatures. Mine needed more fuel at lower temperatures and less at higher temperatures.
I don't know if it's possible, but you might check with your dealer and see if they can change cranking fuel with the digital technician. You also might want to try cracking the throttle slightly when starting to see if it helps.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 07 Dyna FXD has the same starting problems when it gets warmed up. Cold starts first crank, took 2 or 3 times to start it when warm. The only thing the dealer did for the issue was change spark plugs, which was a joke. Bought a pc 3 an starts much better now.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
murphdog said:
The ECM has a "cranking fuel" table that determines how long the injectors stay open when you're starting the bike. The table is engine temperature dependant, and you typically get more fuel at colder temperatures. There may be some variation between models, but the table for an '07 Dyna has 12 temperatures ranging from -16° C to 160° C with injector on times ranging from 65 milliseconds to 17.9 milliseconds. As a result, your bike may start fine at 20° C (68° F) with the programmed injector on time but terrible at a different temperature with a different programmed injector on time. You can access the cranking fuel table with the SE Race Tuner and tune the injector on time to get instant starts at all temperatures. Mine needed more fuel at lower temperatures and less at higher temperatures.
I don't know if it's possible, but you might check with your dealer and see if they can change cranking fuel with the digital technician. You also might want to try cracking the throttle slightly when starting to see if it helps.
Thank you, I will pass this on to him. He has a shopping list of things that he has found wrong with the bike and is meeting with the owner of the dealership since the owner personally sold him the bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts