V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 92 FXR. I have a macuni 42" and edelbrock heads (both of which i put on over 10 years ago) and V&H 2 into 1. I want to bump up the performance on this bike and make it into a torque machine.

I have been talking to my mechanic about doing a conversion to a 96" engine. This is what he is suggesting: I quote him.

"Here are some prices for the 96" conversion.

Labor is 20 hrs. which includes removing the engine from the frame, tearing it down, sending the cases out for machining, reassembly with new crank and performance cam and heads, re installation back into the frame.
I would be willing to discount the labor for you, I just wanted to show a standard hour amount for this type of job.

The 96" kit from S&S is very complete. It comes with new flywheels, pistons, cylinders, cam, pushrods and carburetor. It also includes gaskets.
You have 2 choices for finish on the cylinders, "natural" and black.
If you do not want the S&S carb. we can arrange a credit or discount.
The cost of this kit is $2399.00.

I recommend we take a set of Harley Screamin Eagle heads and have them ported.
We will send the heads to the porter and create a part number based on cost of heads plus the porting so you aren't buying a set of heads at retail, then paying for the added cost of porting.
The total for ported new heads will be $1500.

The total for parts and labor is $5700 not including tax.
If you do not want the S&S carb, I will see if we can discount $500 off the kit.
I am willing to discount as much as 4 hours labor as well.
That would bring your total to apx. $4840"

I have gotten some other good advice suggesting i should just buy a complete S&S 96" engine.

would love to get your thoughts on what the mechanic is suggesting OR getting a whole larger bore motor. The mechanic also thought that going to the full larger bore motor is a reasonable way to go.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sounds a bit expensive to me, you could have you a New 127" Ultima with 134Hp & tq, sell you evo for 1/2 the price. then it will cost you $2 1/2,
+ a -2$en#e- free Xtra 30 ponys,

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ultima 127

DanNZ

do you know the cost of the Ultima 127? They also have their 96 version and short chop version. Do you know anyone who has done the 127 conversion?

thanks

Freefxrs

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Why can't you port stock heads, why buy screaming eagles heads and then port? Just curious. Don't know what the costs should be, but thats alot of money. If your going to spend that much have you compared the price of already built motor? New motor then. Again I don't know what they run. Probably another 2-3k. But if your gonna spend your retirement might as well spend it all.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hi Free, I would be reluctant to build the motor you are talking about with factory Evo cases, they are the weak link in the equation. The other folks here are right on the money regarding the Ultima option, I've built a few of their motors, 113" and 127", fit and finish are outstanding and they make power as advertised.......Bill

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
I have never built an Ultima Engine, but I have seen some complete ones on sites and the polished looks sweet. It would also look good in Natural Black with polished fins if they make one like that.

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
There are some year specific problems with going to 96" in a stock case. In 92, I believe the cases are the thicker ones that will accept being bored for 96" barrels. 92 also has the potential of a loose left side case bearing race, major problem if it is.

The suggestion of flat out replacing the engine and not building yours are good ones. But I have a different take on it .....

A replacement S&S is $6000+. You said it was a 92 FXR. If you check the value of your bike and then add the cost of a new engine to it, I would hazard a guess that it will exceed the cost of a NEW bike, and when you are done you will still have a 92 FXR that is only worth what the book says. If I were in your situation, I would take a step back and look at what a new Dyna would cost. My -2$en#e-

Back to your original question..... Here is another alternative. Don't bore your cases and stroke the engine to 89", assuming you checked the left side case bearing race and it is good. This resolves any potential issue of cracking your cases. In your post you mentioned you have edelbrock heads, whats wrong with them that they need to be replaced? While doing a conversion of this type there are a few other things you can do to squeeze more torque out of it like correcting the deck height.

If you want more info on the 96" S&S engine, Bean at big Boyz Cycles is doing this very engine swap in his shop right now. I was planning on doing a post one the thickness of the engine cases and how to tell if they can be bored for 96" barrels or not.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
For that money I would put in a S&S 107 and be done, but springer has the right idea. An 89" with your heads and carb, set up right would run very strong and all it will cost you is the flywheels, pistons and stuff and the labor.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
93 was a year where you saw a huge amount of left race issues, to get some extra to your set up why not go to 85 inch kit?? No bore bolts on and is offerd in 9.1 and 10.5 ratios. I have built many evos and for what it sounds like you are doing I donot think you will have issues with your build as it sounds mild, but you may find you need a new left case half, "it happens"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts