V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a set of the Harley Chrome Controls that were on sale at the Dealership, but it seems that they are for '96-'05, the '06 have a different part number. Is it due to a difference in the front brakes? If not, can anybody tell me what the difference is?

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Brake Fluid.

The '96 to '05 versions say "Use Dot 5 fluid" on the master cylinder cap. The 06 version says "Use Dot 4 fluid" on the cap. That's the only difference.

You should be able to buy a chrome '06 master cylinder cap separately to fix this. Do NOT put Dot 5 in your system, without first getting a rebuild kit for your front caliper. Of course, then you'd have 5 in the front, and 4 in the back brake system.

I would not use the Dot 5 cap, and then use Dot 4, too confusing for others.

This switch to Dot 4 is a real beef I have with the MoCo. Dot 5 has been fine for years, and now to try and win back some of the cop bike business they lost to other manufacturers who offer anti-lock brakes, they have switched to Dot 4 for ALL the bikes. Buffoonery if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
ChopperDude said:
This switch to Dot 4 is a real beef I have with the MoCo. Dot 5 has been fine for years, and now to try and win back some of the cop bike business they lost to other manufacturers who offer anti-lock brakes, they have switched to Dot 4 for ALL the bikes. Buffoonery if you ask me.
If you want, you can change back to Dot 5. If you plan on keeping your bike and perform all of the service on it, go for it.
Since it has Dot 4 in it now, best way to do so is to replace the brake components and fill with Dot 5.
Obviously, we're talking $$$ to go that route, so draining the Dot 4, and thoroughly flushing and cleaning the complete brake system with denatured alcohol before you fill and bleed with Dot 5 will do the trick as well.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
road_king said:
If you want, you can change back to Dot 5. If you plan on keeping your bike and perform all of the service on it, go for it.
Since it has Dot 4 in it now, best way to do so is to replace the brake components and fill with Dot 5.
Obviously, we're talking $$$ to go that route, so draining the Dot 4, and thoroughly flushing and cleaning the complete brake system with denatured alcohol before you fill and bleed with Dot 5 will do the trick as well.

I'm aware that you can change to Dot 5. If you'll re-read my post, I mention that he could do that, but it requires replacing all the o-rings and stuff in calipers and master cylinders, I believe you're also supposed to change the brake lines themselves. Also, you'll need to buy new caps front and rear that say DOT 5 instead of DOT 4 (in case you trade/sell it, or goes to be serviced anywhere). Gets expensive, when all he could do is change his DOT 5 cap to a DOT 4 and be done with.

I plan on doing this myself sometime in the future, I'm planning on putting on the chrome m/c and calipers, just saving up the money right now (buying a house).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts