V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Fuel Inj Ultra, flat top 95 pistons, street ported heads, 81cc chambers, CR 9.5:1, .600 max lift. Slip on exhaust, K&N filter and misc other parts.
Ok......was going to have cams custom ground but....I have had a set of
HQ 0039 Cyclone cams sitting in the garage, I've had them for about year. Bought them off ebay for almost nothing, they're in great shape. What do you all think about running these in an Ultra compared to some other choices????? No not going with gear driven yet.

Specs: Copied this off HQ website

Cams for use with ported heads on the 1450 & 1550cc motors. Also works well in 103s for bagger style bikes. Pulls progressively harder from idle all the way up. Works well with both 9.5 and 10.5:1 motors. Very strong mid-range ideal for touring bikes.

Timing specs measured at .053” tappet lift.

Intake 20/36 236 .580” lift

Exhaust 52/24 256 .530” lift

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
This could be you -------->

http://hotbikeweb.com/tech/0206hb_head/

Wakin' The Giant

After we sat around the table and hammered out a plan, we got on the horn to Head Quarters and ordered one of its Low Compression 1550 Twin Cam big-bore kits. The Low Compression kit comes with 9.5:1 pistons, HQ0039 (0.580-inch lift intake with 0.530-inch lift for exhaust) camshafts, pushrods, and a set of HQ's Spin-Drop TC88 cylinder heads. These heads come with a set of 1.625-inch exhaust and 1.900-inch intake valves, titanium valve springs, and, most importantly, some of HQ's trademark porting and polishing work. The heads are set up for a volume of 82 ccs, and Viton valve stem seals are installed for years of trouble-free service.

After about a 1,000 miles or so, we dropped back into PVHD to get our final mapping done and to get our dyno numbers to see how well everything worked. The Head Quarters kit really delivers. Our peak torque is now 102.8 at a very favorable 3,500 rpm, with 95 lb-ft coming in at only 2,500 rpm. Horsepower is now up to 90.0, and the powerband couldn't possibly be better for a heavy touring bike like our Electra Glide Ultra Classic.

·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I am looking for. :woohoo:

·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Back to quare 1. The HQ cams I have are Keyed not splined. After doing some reading it looks like putting keyed cams in is a risk of a drive key failure. So....back to having cams custom ground.

Thinking of bringing the lift down to .550 and stretching the int duration out to 242 and backing the exh duration to 252. Other than degreeing the cam in at 97/98 degrees, keeping all the other specs the same. What do you think????

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
The_Snowman said:
This could be you -------->

http://hotbikeweb.com/tech/0206hb_head/

Wakin' The Giant

After we sat around the table and hammered out a plan, we got on the horn to Head Quarters and ordered one of its Low Compression 1550 Twin Cam big-bore kits. The Low Compression kit comes with 9.5:1 pistons, HQ0039 (0.580-inch lift intake with 0.530-inch lift for exhaust) camshafts, pushrods, and a set of HQ's Spin-Drop TC88 cylinder heads. These heads come with a set of 1.625-inch exhaust and 1.900-inch intake valves, titanium valve springs, and, most importantly, some of HQ's trademark porting and polishing work. The heads are set up for a volume of 82 ccs, and Viton valve stem seals are installed for years of trouble-free service.

After about a 1,000 miles or so, we dropped back into PVHD to get our final mapping done and to get our dyno numbers to see how well everything worked. The Head Quarters kit really delivers. Our peak torque is now 102.8 at a very favorable 3,500 rpm, with 95 lb-ft coming in at only 2,500 rpm. Horsepower is now up to 90.0, and the powerband couldn't possibly be better for a heavy touring bike like our Electra Glide Ultra Classic.
would you by chance know the ccp on that setup?? Thanks

·
Registered
798 Posts
davemhughes said:
Back to quare 1. The HQ cams I have are Keyed not splined. After doing some reading it looks like putting keyed cams in is a risk of a drive key failure. So....back to having cams custom ground.

Thinking of bringing the lift down to .550 and stretching the int duration out to 242 and backing the exh duration to 252. Other than degreeing the cam in at 97/98 degrees, keeping all the other specs the same. What do you think????

Take a look at the Red Shift 557TC. Its very close to what your talking about. You can contact Zippers for more info and if you are wondering, I am in no way connected to the company. I am consedering this cam for my 95" build. Good luck

·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Big Al custom grind

Big Al Taylor did a custom grind for me with the specs I supplied above. They went in tonight. It should be all finished tomorrow and we will see what my Ultra thinks of them. Looking for a custom map......bought a power comander for it so that should help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts