V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here is my input and request for feedback on an engine mod for my '06 Ultra Classic:
I currently have a Stage I SE upgrade and I am adding a Stage II 95" big bore with SE-204 cams and High Compression Cast pistons. I have the race tuner kit already on board with Vance and Hines true duals and Rush slip ons. I am looking for increased torque to accomodate most of the two up riding I do with my wife. Now, here is my question....the normal cam and piston listed for the big bore Stage II upgrade is the SE-203 and Flat Top Cast Piston respectively. The service tech recommended the SE-204 cam and the High Comp pistons (10.25:1) vs the Flat tops (9.4:1). What do you gurus have for feedback on this recommendation? Thanks in advance!!
Roger

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I think it will be a fine set-up. Figuring the odds, your combustion chambers will avg. 87-88cc. Using the 10.25:1 pistons will yield under 10.0:1 . That should be good for what you are looking for with no starting issues.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
rfarmer said:
Ok, here is my input and request for feedback on an engine mod for my '06 Ultra Classic:
I currently have a Stage I SE upgrade and I am adding a Stage II 95" big bore with SE-204 cams and High Compression Cast pistons. I have the race tuner kit already on board with Vance and Hines true duals and Rush slip ons. I am looking for increased torque to accomodate most of the two up riding I do with my wife. Now, here is my question....the normal cam and piston listed for the big bore Stage II upgrade is the SE-203 and Flat Top Cast Piston respectively. The service tech recommended the SE-204 cam and the High Comp pistons (10.25:1) vs the Flat tops (9.4:1). What do you gurus have for feedback on this recommendation? Thanks in advance!!
Roger
I also have a 2006 ultra. I know & trust the service manager at one of the local dealers (not where I purchased the bike, that was in another city much better price)This service manager has a great rep for engine builds/mods of all types, he builds & races bikes as well. He provided guidance & direction for my 95" build for the style of riding I do, the same as you, mostly 2up highway cruising. He never insisted or pushed just H-D parts. He suggested: cylnders bored locally for the 1550 flat top pistons, 204 cams, stock heads, SE race fueler, SE A/C, 2006 1550 download,V&H true dual headers, V&H oval mufflers. I wanted the high compression pistons & HTTC heads. He explained the difference between what I wanted & what he suggested: a lot more money, nearly twice as much & not that much more tq or hp at the speed rpm I would be running, it would be great if I was running WOT a lot, which I will not, not into racing from light to light. He has done quite a few of these mods, good mid range TQ & HP & all the bagger folks have been satisfied. I mentioned the SERT & he said that would be fine if I was at the drag strip or wanting to run wide open throttle a lot, instead he suggested the race fueler, to help with fuel flow management etc. at all speeds, again more bang for the $$$$ for my style. I went with his suggestions & have been satisfied. I feel a great build for the money. He told me to ride it for awhile then bring it back for any adjustments & to put it on the dyno. Only been able to ride 350 miles so far, weather demons. Some minor problems:some times hard to cold start after sitting overnight takes a couple of tries, some throttle hesitation, some burping on deceleration. I took it back & he rode it then put it on the dyno. Runs a little better but still some of the same problems. Tuesday I saw the service manager & we discussed the H-D service bulletin regarding 2006 fuel injectors. I have the old style
8* injectors, he ordered the CVO 25* injectors, hopefully this will help/correct the problems.
I know this has been a very long response, but what I have is very close to what you are thinking about. I really feel it is a great engine mod & will fit my style extremely well. One thing to reconsider is the high compression pistons/heads. Are they really necessary & the extra $$$jack for how you plan to ride?
Of course everyone has their own opinion just like everyone has a poop hole. :thumbsup: :whistle:
I'm still debating on the SERT, will wait & ride a 1,000 miles or so & decide if it is worth the extra $$$.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Although your bike is heavier than a deluxe I went with the 95"BB flat/tops 204/cams stock 05/heads PCIII usb and I have about 400/miles on build so far very happy with build as far as performance and reliability runs great I went with the PCIII usb mainly because my mechanic was more familiar with the PCIII if you go with the 204's it'll sound like you changed your pipes they produce a nice sound.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great feedback - Thanks!

Thanks for relating your advice and experiences guys! I am going to go with the build my service manager suggested. I am grateful for this forum because it provides access to the knowledge and experience of so many and gives many of us the opportunity to "tap" into that knowledge and experience which folks like you so willingly share! {salute(

·
43 Fuel Curves
819 Posts
If your heads are 88cc, instead of spec 85, and you use a thick .050 to .052 head gasket you will be at optimum CCP for high octane pump gas with out starting problems (just under 190) with the 204 cams when you travel to the coast.

Better get your heads measured.

If your heads are spec 85cc and you are using a standard cometic kit with .040 head gasket, at the maxumum barometric pressure for the US of 30.50, and at sea level, you would have a problematic CCP of 200. With a .030 cometic head gasket: 205!

Guys in the mountains can run higher CR than those of us in the coastal south.

For CCP over 190, compression releases or larger starter for starting and a good tuner for your SERT to prevent ping are recommened.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
rfarmer said:
Thanks for relating your advice and experiences guys! I am going to go with the build my service manager suggested. I am grateful for this forum because it provides access to the knowledge and experience of so many and gives many of us the opportunity to "tap" into that knowledge and experience which folks like you so willingly share! {salute(

Don't forget the compression releases and high output starter. :yes:

I did a 1550 HO build with 204s, HC forged pistons and SE heads. Definitely needed the above.

Most would advise against this build due to potential for pre-detonation (pinging).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts