V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spoke to my dealer, and they tell me a "ballpark" cost for a 95" Stage II would be a little over $1,700 including labor, without sales tax.

95" with labor = $999
203 cams = $279 (with new Timkin bearings)
Cams labor = $260
EFI Download = $150
Gaskets, etc. = $50

I will stop by this weekend for an exact quote, but how does this price sound.

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
I would suspect this is with cast pistons & cylinder bore, $999 seems to be the going rate.

I think $260 for cam labor is steep since the heads are off anyway. You might question if there is a discount since they are doing the pistons at the same time.

Chris

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I'm having it installed right now and that price is pretty close to what I was quoted also. They did hint at a 10% or so discount on the parts so I might come out just a little better but not much.

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TLeath said:
I'm having it installed right now and that price is pretty close to what I was quoted also. They did hint at a 10% or so discount on the parts so I might come out just a little better but not much.
ceraaa42 makes a good point about the cam labor for Stage II. Since they have the heads off anyway on a Stage I 95", what is the need for extra labor for new cams on a 95" Stage II?

And, my dealer said they would do new Timkin bearings for the new cams, saying that is an improvement on the stock bearings. I don't know enough about V-Twin building at this point to say, but I would ask about that.

Good Luck, as Don Garlits said.."If more is better, then too much is just enough". :cheers:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Doug

Make sure that when they order the kit that it is ordered with the cams in the kit or HD will not warranty the build. From you thread it appears they are ordering the BB stage 1 and adding the 203's. If this is true from what two of my local HD dealers told me; you must purchase entire kit and cannot buy the items seperate. That local dealer may warrant the build but if you are 300 miles from home I would guess you are $hit out of luck if the HD dealer does not want to help you out. Just be careful because I know from our PM's Warranty is IMPORTANT to you. Mike

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
DCRANER said:
I just spoke to my dealer, and they tell me a "ballpark" cost for a 95" Stage II would be a little over $1,700 including labor, without sales tax.

95" with labor = $999
203 cams = $279 (with new Timkin bearings)
Cams labor = $260
EFI Download = $150
Gaskets, etc. = $50

I will stop by this weekend for an exact quote, but how does this price sound.
DC: My Son had the SE BB Stage II, SE Heads, Quick Install pushrods, R&R Primary for SE Clutch Spring, EFI Download, and fluids change for $2553.00 including tax. Labor was 12 hours = $660.00. If you back out the price of heads, pushrods, and service your price sounds about right.

:cheers:

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TNHARLEY said:
Doug

Make sure that when they order the kit that it is ordered with the cams in the kit or HD will not warranty the build. From you thread it appears they are ordering the BB stage 1 and adding the 203's. If this is true from what two of my local HD dealers told me; you must purchase entire kit and cannot buy the items seperate. That local dealer may warrant the build but if you are 300 miles from home I would guess you are $hit out of luck if the HD dealer does not want to help you out. Just be careful because I know from our PM's Warranty is IMPORTANT to you. Mike
Thanks Mike.

I know HD has a specific part number for Stage II, but I was not aware of how important it was to not be seperate pieces. My dealer is a good one and I am good friends with the General Manager, but I will do my homework on this, I want it to be like my WG came from the factory with a 95" and 203 cams.

Any thoughts on my dealer saying he will do new Timkin cam bearings, maybe they are trying to do the right thing..........it's possible.

Appreciate the info., I hate things that "almost work right".

·
Registered
229 Posts
Doug

I am sure they are trying to do the right thing no doubt. It is just like I asked both my dealers about doing SE heads this winter. Both said if we do the work we will honor the warranty but if you breakdown somewhere else that HD dealer will tell you that your engine has no warranty. So I have elected to drive it like it is till warranty is up. Just remember that all breakdowns are not guaranteed to be at home. Good luck and let me know what the dealer says. Mike

p.s. just make sure the kit includes the cams for warranty

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
The dealer in Jamestown NY is advertising the 95BB stage II for $1050.00 for carb bikes and $1275.00 for efi bikesi.. Includes all parts & labor.... I guess it's their winter special.
My father is considering having them do his 99 fxdwg due to the price.. They have a good reputation as well.

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
BadTwin said:
The dealer in Jamestown NY is advertising the 95BB stage II for $1050.00 for carb bikes and $1275.00 for efi bikesi.. Includes all parts & labor.... I guess it's their winter special.
My father is considering having them do his 99 fxdwg due to the price.. They have a good reputation as well.

That seems like a good price. Winter special here locally is running right around $1500.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Yeah, right. Figure 12-14hr's or so for labor plus all the parts and thats a steal.
It also includes a before and after dyno run.

I wonder if they will let him pick out the moco cam.. He's calling tommorow and hoping he can get the 204...

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A few other questions I plan on asking my dealer, and maybe someone here can help.

1. Does the 95" Stage II create higher combustion temps., and therefore cause pinging?

2. Does the Stage II reflash leave the engine too lean, maybe causing heat / pinging. So, is there another dealer approved ECM tuner that may help this.

3. When done would there be a benefit to a real Dyno Tune?

4. Thinking of adding an oil cooler anyway, would that help cut down on engine / head temps?

Just trying to cover all my bases, not trying to :beatdh:

Thanks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I did the kit with 203's on my 02 FLTR carbed. It pinged so bad I thought it was full of marbles. I finally changed out to woods gear drive tw5g cams. no more ping and dyno went from 81 hp & 95 torq with 203's to 95 hp & 104 torq with tw5g. hope this helps, good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts