V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
I posted a thread a while back on what I thought was a compression problem and got a recomendation for a good place to take my bike here in Florida.
For anyone interested here are the results.
Bike was bought used and ran ok, never smoked etc. poor dyno run got me to test compression and got a 25psi difference between front and rear barrels.
Took the bike up to get her looked at and the compression was 235 on the front and 210 on the rear.
Leakdown was 2% front 60% rear.
Had high compression pistons(one dropped before it was installed and had damged ring grooves), Zippers heads with larger valves and real heavy springs, HSR42, thin head gasket, some funky unknown chain cam, roller rockers and hydro-solid lifters, intake manifold had been opened up.
Oil pump was toast.
Just got it there in time since it was getting way too hot.

New build will be:
my spare heads and barrels done by Baisely.
37g cam installed with -2 gear (got 0 lash on gears)
3.37 primary
new oil pump correctly installed with baisely spring
factory intake amd factory rockers and lifters
SE flatop pistons
D&D Fatcat

Should run much better than before without the engine trying to kill itself to overcome the excessive compression according to the person putting it together. He said it was just a bad combination of parts and poor work. That will be corrected very soon!
Looking at all the 37G builds around here I should be much happier than the way it was even if I get the lowest numbers I've seen here. The way I got it, it was making 89tq and 81 hp and it didn't make the tq down low. I attached the dyno run that made me want to look inside and start checking things out. Kinda took a hit on having to redo a bunch of things I beleived to be correct when I bought it but the price was good enough that I'm not buried in it.

Thanks for the advice and reference,
Bob P.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pa-glazier said:
You will be happy with the build by our old friend in Orlando! :clap:
He told he to say hello to everyone for him next time I signed in. He is a great guy!

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
You are very lucky to have him that close.. I almost had my bike hauled down to him to have my 95" job done, the timing of my buddy heading that way for a new construction job was not right. I am attempting it myself waiting on heads and cams have just about everthing ready to go. What ignition if any are you going with?

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chuck K. said:
What ignition if any are you going with?
The ignition that was in it when I bought it was a Zippers TC88 module and we'll see what he can do with that. I tried to reuse the existing parts where they would fit in with the build we are doing and got rid of the items he said wouldn't work. I am very sure that when I get it back it'll perform real well. I'll post a dyno run when it's done.
Thanks,
Bob P.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts