V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iam going to 95" by boring jugs and new pistons. I will also using the .030 Cometic head gasket. Iam also installing new cams.
The question is with the thinner head gaskets will I need new push rods or can I still use the factory ones.

TIA
St. Louis Bob
2001 Lux. Rich Red

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Re: Boring stock jugs???

Why not bore the stock cylinders? It's considered a better alternative by some since the originals are seasoned by the heating and cooling cycles of having been run. So long as torque plates are used in the process there shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I am getting bored jugs. That is all the 95" jugs are anyway.

·
Registered
276 Posts
boring your existing cylinders is the way to go, unless you are a Harley-Davidson stealer.......

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
It is a good idea to use adjustable pushrods with that combination, in case you already have some "tolerance stack"

In reality, as long as the cam you will use has the stock base circle and the heads are not flycut in any way, you can use the stock pushrods.
You are only talking a reduction of .022" to .025" and it is not unusual to adjust the pushrods to .125" from full extended lifter as opposed to the recommended .100"

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The .030 head gasket is a mistake in my book. Better off with .010 milled and the S/E .042 gasket or just a .042 gasket. The sguish is too thinn for a street bike at .030 , carbin build up and you end up with carbin piston to head vibbs (where the piston & head are squishing carbin).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts