V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my bike in today to get the 95 BB kit so to speak,they are trying to talk me out of the SE heads saying I dont need them for my style of riding.I do alot od 2 up and pull a trailer now and then sometimes for distances. I dont want to take away from the reliability and not into racing just want to pass up hill if I need too.They proposed the cyl,pistons and the 204 cam, and the sert tuner.I was kinda thinking the cyl,pistons and the 211 cam with the SE heads and the sert.I know the posibilitys are endless but money and reliability are a concern of mine.I do most of my riding between 2000 and 4000 rpm range. I want to be able to go on a trip and have peace of mind.Could someone steer me in the right direction please,I would like to do this only one time and be reliable as well. Thanks for your input, Larry

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Hey I am going through the same thing. I am looking at gear cam, boar out to 95", would like to do some head work if I can get the money. Adjustable pushrods. Which might not be as big a deal to you, since your having dealer do it. It leaks he will have to fix it.

I do not want to high of compression, becuase sometimes hard to get good gas.

Haven't really nailed down pistons yet. Probably JM flattops. Cometic gaskets.

Might want to look at other stuff besides HD, not that SE isn't good. I don't know much about se cams. Looking at andrews 21g, 26g, or 37g. Lots of guys around here like 37g.

Theres tons of stuff to read in this section. My recommondation is just start reading.

·
43 Fuel Curves
819 Posts
woodmaster said:
...I do alot od 2 up and pull a trailer now and then sometimes for distances. I dont want to take away from the reliability and not into racing just want to pass up hill if I need too.....I do most of my riding between 2000 and 4000 rpm range... I would like to do this only one time and be reliable as well.
Their recommendation would be better than what you asked for, but a TW26G and some head work with the big bore would be even better. The gear drive cams will be more reliable than chain driven cams, as well as the TW26G being best suited to your two-up, trailer pulling.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I would steer clear of the SE211's for your setup. They have their place, but require more compression to be really effective. They really don't "come on" until about 3100 rpm's and are lumpy as hell in the 2000-2500 rpm range which is where you will be riding through town. I just yanked mine in favor of the 37G's.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
woodmaster said:
I took my bike in today to get the 95 BB kit so to speak,they are trying to talk me out of the SE heads saying I dont need them for my style of riding.I do alot od 2 up and pull a trailer now and then sometimes for distances. I dont want to take away from the reliability and not into racing just want to pass up hill if I need too.They proposed the cyl,pistons and the 204 cam, and the sert tuner.I was kinda thinking the cyl,pistons and the 211 cam with the SE heads and the sert.I know the posibilitys are endless but money and reliability are a concern of mine.I do most of my riding between 2000 and 4000 rpm range. I want to be able to go on a trip and have peace of mind.Could someone steer me in the right direction please,I would like to do this only one time and be reliable as well. Thanks for your input, Larry
I went through the same thing, and after all my research am VERY HAPPY with my build.
Call these guys and talk tothem.

http://www.automotivemachine.com/

They are reknown for building dependable strong touring bagger engines that will do exactly what you are looking to do. I got a set of their heads, and am using the Andrews 26G gear cams. The bike is perfect for touring and hauling heavy loads up mountains.

There may be other builders that can do the same thing, but I can only share what I know first hand. Regardless of which builder you use, stick with their build. Don't try and take heads from one guy, cams from another, gaskets from a third, that's just a recepie for problems.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
emxgarcia said:
I would leave the head work out.

The stock heads can give you more TQ with the proper head work why would you leave out what your after? For 300 +bucks most folks like the feel of the increased TQ/HP.

·
04 Super Glide Sport
290 Posts
95 build realiability issues

With a quality build, you will not have any realiability issues with a 95" nor a 103". You should not ignore the head work as this is where you will make real gains in trq & hp, and it will be more costly to go back when you decide you're not satisfied with the performance of stock heads.

I can tell you that if you go to a reputable builder (could be HD or independent) you will be very satisfied by the results. As mentioned earlier, gear driven cams are less maintainance but may be more noisey (not substantially in my opinion), and it is important that the builder get components that work well together. You don't need to re-invent the wheel, there are several good builds with the components listed on this site.

There are thousands bullet proof 95" & 103" builds out there. It is more important who does the build and the quality of components. Be sure you tell them specifically what your expectations are, and you'll never want to go back to a stock 88.:beer:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts