V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Going to go look at a 95 Fatboy for sale by owner. Has 13k miles and price is right. What can someone tell me about the Fatboy. I think they came out in 94, yes? Wondered if there were any inherent concerns on this year model. Also, I haven't ridden one. Any characteristics that anyone could share with me. Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
159 Posts
Pre TC 88B softails, 1999 and earlier, will shake you in a way few people can understand, until they have lived with one. Other than that, far as I know they are excellent motorcycles. If you can get a test ride, you can decide if it shakes too much for you or not, with that kind of an investment I would want to know before I bought.

Budman

·
old timer
516 Posts
Shake ???? Pre-Twin Cam Evo softails have some vibration. Naturally they're Harley's. You want shake try a 96" in a rigid frame with a chain/chain drive.

The 95 will out rev the TC and dollar for dollar outperform it. The vibration is a minor inconvenience and will remind you that you are riding a Harley...not a gold wing.

manny

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have to chuckle to myself when people claim that the Fatboy "shakes"...give me a break. My 97 is just fine. It has a slight vibration to it - like any engine does. Some more than others...but all in all its very managable, easy and fun to ride.

As far as chicks on 'boys go...well all the more reason to own and ride one. They are chick magnets!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Shakin all Over

I seem to have illicited some passion in my remarks about the shake of uncounterbalanced softails. I should have expected as much, but perhaps I am still a little naive. Seems to me that the message from my post was that MGN54 should make that determination for himself. I believe that everyone experiences sensations differently. I used to ride a sport bike a few years ago, that motor was counterbalanced and rubber mouted, still when you run at 7000 rpm and above most of the time there is some vibration, quite a bit actually. To me that high rpm vibration was very annoying, that's why I like cruisers so much. But a Harley at Highway speed should only be turning between 2000 to 3000 rpm, SC highway speeds. At less than half of the previous bikes rpm, it seems more like shake to me. Like I said, it would be different for different people. I have been riding and racing dirt bikes for 35 years, to me those bikes vibrate and my buddies sporty shakes. I don't believe that I was trying to insult anyone or step on any toes. Just relating the bike from my perspective. After everything is said and done though, I still feel that MGN54 should make that determination for himself since we are all different. Wouldn't you agree?

Budman

·
Registered
236 Posts
Low frequency vibes (shakes) for some is a great feeling. Some say the chic's get off on it (riding on the back of course!) I hate the high end vibrations such as my 750 Suzuki gives me at speed. But all in all, the only vibrations I can't live with was from a T-6 (650) Triumph I had in the early '70s. Over 70 mph and increasing after that, the vibration was so bad that the handle bars and grips grew in size. How fast I could go was limited to how well I could hang on to the grips -- 120 was about it, but then that was gud nuf!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts