V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a EVO and was thinking of putting .020 over pistons with 10.5:1 comp. and porting and polishing the heads with now cam and carb. Has any body done similar upgrades and is there any reliability issues with running these pistons?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I do not know why you want to go .020 over. Just do a new set of pistons with higher compression. I was running my 1997 evo with 11.1:1 comp for 65k before the bottom end went. Mind you I run my bike hard every day and I pull a camp trailer. The reliability is all in your right hand.

I was running Wiesco 10:1 pistons with the heads millled .065 and a .030 head gasket. 600 lift cam and roller rockers.
Now I just run an S&S 107.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did as you describe but I chose 10:1 pistons. Installed an Andrews EV72, ported and polished the heads and installed a Mikuni HSR42. Runs good and I haven't had any issues other than the starter grunting if I forget to rock the bike to get it off TDC before I start it.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Put in compression releases and you will not have to rock the bike before starting. It'll save wear and tear on the starter and the battery will last longer. I also recommend the use of a battery tender every time you put the bike down for the night. dsv

1 - 4 of 4 Posts