V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a modest 95" build, is there an advantage to new HD 95" cylinders over having the existing 88" cylinders bored?

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
Boring your stock cylinders can be a cost savings of over 50%, seasoned cylinders is considered better and depending on what pistons you use, they can be bored to match the pistons.

Buy 1550 cylinders is only a convenience as MegaGlide suggested.

·
Registered
286 Posts
springer- said:
and depending on what pistons you use, they can be bored to match the pistons.
Which pistons are the best to use to be able to match to my cylinders?:thanks:

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
LongRide said:
Which pistons are the best to use to be able to match to my cylinders?:thanks:
I am a fan of the SE cast pistons. If you are building a street engine and don't plan to exceed 6200 RPM's or 10.5:1 CR they will be reliable and durable over the life of the engine. And they are a reasonable price for a street build. IMO

·
Registered
286 Posts
springer- said:
I am a fan of the SE cast pistons. If you are building a street engine and don't plan to exceed 6200 RPM's or 10.5:1 CR they will be reliable and durable over the life of the engine. And they are a reasonable price for a street build. IMO
Thanks Springer, I guess I should have told you what my riding habits were and what type build I wanted. :duh?: But you were right on with what I wanted. :thanks:

·
Registered
233 Posts
What should be piston to cylinder clearance in 95 TC? If I will buy new 1550 cylinders it is not important but when I will bore out "old" cylinders it is very important. My local shop is specializing in car engines and they NEVER worked on Harley. But I hope they will be able to bore out old cylinders and match them to BB pistons. But I have to known the clearence.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Probably not a good idea.
Torque plates are required to do your cylinders, and my bet is that your car shop doesn't have them, and even if they were willing to buy them, do you want to be their guinea pig?

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
As other posters mention, if the shop has not done HD cylinders before, I would avoid them. They should be done by a motorcycle shop that has the torque plates and knows how to set them up. If not done properly, the cylinders will not be straight when installed and torqued down.

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
a lot of dealers are having sales on Friday after Thanksgiving...one that i will be going to has 30% off everything...even if they have to order it...(except complete engines/trans)
new cyl's & pistons will cost $300.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks for help :thumbsup: Maybe I will find someone who will has worked on Twin Cams. If not I will buy new cylinders and give up heads porting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts