V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When doing a 95" conversion,what is the prefered piston...the standard flat top or the high compression?And why?Also what about cams,which one?(This is going to be my '01 FLHTC winter project)

·
Registered
250 Posts
The Stage I is SE big bore flat tops with the stock cam. Warranty is preserved. SE 203 Cam is for Stage II and may affect you warranty. SE High compression pistons are for SE high compression heads and can go on the 1550 also with the 203 and will definitely affect your warranty.
All three of these setups require a new and different EFI calibration and I can guarantee that the factory one is not optimized and you will want it custom mapped withthe EFI Tuner or if you already have a PC use it. see other thread on TC88 EFI calibrations.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The preferred piston is a JE or Wiseco. Your not going to gain alot
until you do something with the heads. About 500 lift is all you
can run with stock heads. (port size,valve spring,etc...) and you did
mention your bike was carburated.......
Don't plan on running over 9.5:1 or 9.8:1 comp with pump gas....
Check with S&S,Branch,Headquarters,etc...for a combination that works
for your RPM/riding style. SE is not always the best way to go.....

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Flat top pistons, SE Performance Heads, and SE 257 cams. 102 hp, 104 tq, and extremely reliable with mileage just over 40. Can't say why I went one way over the other than I had seen some similar set ups, and went with what seemed to work every time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Had a interesting conversation with a andrews cam rep the other day. told him about my bike (flht carb) and what compression I was going to run (9.6 to 1) clean up my stock heads. Told him I ride agressively but not wide open all the time. Guess what cams he suggested. tw50`s? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
FLHP said:
Flat top pistons, SE Performance Heads, and SE 257 cams. 102 hp, 104 tq,
What pipes are you running? Are you Carbed or FI?

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Carb bike. Original carb sent in an reworked by Woods, with White Brothers E Series 2 into 1. Last but not least, Crane HI4TC Ignition.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
FLHP said:
Flat top pistons, SE Performance Heads, and SE 257 cams. 102 hp, 104 tq, and extremely reliable with mileage just over 40. Can't say why I went one way over the other than I had seen some similar set ups, and went with what seemed to work every time.
FLHP,

How did you arrive at your cam selection (SE 257)?

Above all, I am interested in reliability but would love to have some more power.

Regards,

wyo

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Advice from two people. I wanted something a little less, after reading the 1000 articles on reversion and other problems. Local dealer built several similar bikes, and I had a chance to ride one, and liked the way it was set up.

#2 John Golden (The Dyno Guy) gave similar advice, specifically listing that they worked well with the SE Performance Heads. Iv'e seen him work on a bunch of bikes, and he appears to know what he talks about.

www.rollingthunderdyno.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts