V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
This is my first post here so if this is in the wrong area let me know and I'll delete it. I am having a problem with a used FXDWG that I bought a while back. The bike runs well but has developed some issues.
I noticed oil started seeping out from between the barrels on the primary side (might be a couple drops on a 40 mile ride).
I ran a compression test using a $40 Pep Boys screw in tester. WOT with the engine cold I get 210F and 185R with the engine warm I get 185F and 160R. Repeated test multiple time with the same 25psi spread. At this point I'm thinking there is a problem in the rear barrel because it's a lot lower than the front one and I'm making a guess at rings based on the oil seepage. ( My thought was pressure building from blowby caused the seepage?)

The motor has Zippers heads and ignition, Mikuni carb and an unknown cam (for informational purposes). Any suggestions besides a leak down test (don't have the tools and I'm currently checking around for someone who does)? Also if anyone knows a good shop for motor work in the Ft. Lauderdale area I'd appreciate it.
Thanks,
BP

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
Not for sure but I think an old V-twin forum expert that no longer posts here has a shop somewhere in that area. I know all rave about him....maybe someone can post you up something to help.

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
Typically they thould be within 10% of each other. I would bo a leakdown check next. This will give you more information. How many miles are on her?

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd be interested in knowing more about the guy with the shop in this area.
Leakdown test is next task on my list once I find someone with the tools to do it or buy my own. Miles are about 13,000 on the bike, not sure when the last owner went from 88 to 95.
Thanks,
BP

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
Doc lives near Orlando. He has 36 years of Harley experience and teaches tuning and high performance engine building at MMI. If you can make the trip you will be in good hands. PM me if you want his contact info.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pa-glazier said:
Doc lives near Orlando. He has 36 years of Harley experience and teaches tuning and high performance engine building at MMI. If you can make the trip you will be in good hands. PM me if you want his contact info.
Thanks, Orlando is a bit of a run without knowing how bad things are inside. I'd hate like hell to get halfway and have it let go or lock up on the highway. I will PM you for the info. I have a call into one of the local shops to see if they can get me in for a leakdown test and from there I'll have a better idea how far I could run it.( If I had a trailer and a hitch it wouldn't be a big deal.)
BP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts