HTCC PISTONS
SE 257 CAM
MIKUNI 45
3.37 GEARING
SE ADJ PUSHRODS
SE TAPPETS
SE ROCKER SUPPORTS
BAISLEY SPRING

Some time ago I posted a question about clatter in front jug that increased as the motor warmed up. Installed Baisley spring, no help (for the clatter tho I am sure it helped oil pressure>)

Finally got a chance to tear it down last nite. The rocker arms are in fact hitting the boxes, we did not machine them enough. Will do so this weekend. Will update you because of success.

the clatter was pretty irritating plus the rear rocker box was leaking oil - I am glad we found the offending item. I will keep you posted.

thanks

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Get some silly putty or modeling clay. Put it in the are to be clearanced and turn the motor over by hand. You typically need .030" clearance for proper operation.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clay the motor

Little bear, do we put the clay on top of the rocker arms, and then put the rocker boxes back on with torque settings, etc? Or do we leave the rocker boxes off when we rotate the motor?

thanks

It is great to find something wrong, the clatter was driving me batty!
At least now I know what the problem is!

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
dotrpaul said:
2004 FXDX
95 JUGS
SE HTCC PORTED HEADS
HTCC PISTONS
SE 257 CAM
MIKUNI 45
3.37 GEARING
SE ADJ PUSHRODS
SE TAPPETS
SE ROCKER SUPPORTS
BAISLEY SPRING

Some time ago I posted a question about clatter in front jug that increased as the motor warmed up. Installed Baisley spring, no help (for the clatter tho I am sure it helped oil pressure>)

Finally got a chance to tear it down last nite. The rocker arms are in fact hitting the boxes, we did not machine them enough. Will do so this weekend. Will update you because of success.

the clatter was pretty irritating plus the rear rocker box was leaking oil - I am glad we found the offending item. I will keep you posted.

thanks
Hmmm I am concerned now with my combo I am running the HTCC heads and a TW-5G. I didnt cut anything out of my rocker boxes and havent really heard anything unusual? Could there be a difference in our rocker boxes ??
2001 FXDL Chrome Rocker Boxes ?

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Hotshot you don't have the SE support plates or roller rockers, no worries. Both of these can cause the need to get out the die grinder.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
dotrpaul said:
Little bear, do we put the clay on top of the rocker arms, and then put the rocker boxes back on with torque settings, etc? Or do we leave the rocker boxes off when we rotate the motor?

thanks

It is great to find something wrong, the clatter was driving me batty!
At least now I know what the problem is!
Go to a arts and crafts store and buy some bright colored modeling clay. I bought a box for under 4 bucks that had bright red, green, yellow etc. Doing one cyl at a time, mold a thin layer on top of the rocker arms. Install the rocker cover and 2 bolts to hold the cover on. Preferably diagonally from each other. Rotate the engine several times. Remove the cover. Flip it over and you should see clay residue stuck to the webbing of the cover. If it won't cooperate, lay the cover back over the rockers and peek in at the indentions on the clay on the rocker arms and how they line up with the webbing in the cover. Grind those areas with a Dremel and cutting wheel. Blow out contaminates, reinstall cover and rotate engine again. Now you should have clay sticking to the areas of the webbing you cut to make it easier. Repeat the process till you have no indentions in the clay on the rocker arms at all. And remember when you install the rocker cover gasket, it will take the cover up and away from the rockers even further so you will definitely have enough clearance then.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
clay the motor

Thanks - I don't need to compensate anything for a hot motor where the components have expanded?

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
No. Your gasket will give you plenty of additional clearance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts