V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's another 95 CI upgrade question?

Has anyone upgraded a Carbed model 88ci to a 95ci? I have modified my bike to the Highflow carb kit and upgraded the pipes, but I want a little more low end and mid range horsepower. I was told my the dealer to move up to the 95 ci.
They told me that just replacing the cylinders with the pistons will give me that HP that I'm looking for. After looking through the 2003 P & A Catalog, there's so many configurations.
What do I change? Just the cylinders and pistons or do I change the heads and cam too...If anyone has experienced this dilema please let me know what configurations you have used to get the optimum horsepower for the buck$$$.

Roadhwg

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Jeff,

I've got a '99 FXDX with a 95" hi-comp(10.5 to 1) mill. The build was put together out of the P&A catalogwith all SE components sans exh. and AC. I carefully chose the complimentary components and did my homework so as to achieve the desired results.

You need to decide where in the RPM range you want the most hit. Most desire low end grunt. Mine was built for mid to high end but still pulls hard in the lower revs.

PM me if you want specifics or peruse the forum since I've posted the build in depth elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I would help to know what kind of ride you got. How much $$$ do you want to spend? Remember once you open up a engine things may never be the same. A HSR 42 carb and a Thunderheader yealds 17 more HP than stock. Its not cheep, but it keeps you out of the engine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2000 Heritage and money, well, depends, under $1,500.00 bucks.

Roadhwg

·
old timer
516 Posts
I have a 2002 RoadGlide. I just went to the Stage II kit. My bike is carb'd. I went with the 95" bit, Screamin' Eagle Heads, 203 Cams and Screamin Eagle Ignition. I also went with new lifters.

I had the assembly diamond etched before installing and i am into it about $1800.00. But I got a good break ont the parts.

It pulls very hard from the start and I haven't found the top yet...I pulled about 115 the other nite and there was still more there.

I am extremely happy and recomment the upgrade. Especially for baggers. Heritage would really benfit from it when packing. I don't think I'd make any modifications without first doing the big bore, it is a starting point for all the rest. I kept the Stock carb, reworked it and it is fine...mileage does go in the toilet...about 35 miles per gallon, but that's the trade-off.

manny

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Any time the heads come off its not a bad idea to have or do some head work. Head work maximises the rest of the package make the motor run smoother and even gives you better gas milage. 95" kit are availble for around 1000 bucks that inclue head work bored & honed macthed cyc to the pistons. Do it yourself and save or get your own kit & have a good mech install it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
No reason to pay for new cylinders,your better off getting your cylinders bored and buying some good pistons (J.E, Ross,Wiseco)
Just this upgrade alone will get you 10-12 HP (if properly tuned)
If you can afford it get your heads ported/upgraded to decent specs
for the cam/rpm you'll be running in your next upgrade.
Here's an opinion on upgrading and using Harley Heads.... Harley Heads

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Texxen for the info:...Helpful!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Roadhwg, check out http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/ for samples of motor performance upgrades. I went with a HSR42, free flow air cleaner, gear drive cams and Andrews 37g cams. Resulted in 86 HP @ 3600 RPM and 96.5 ft/lbs @ 5000 RPM in my 2000 TC88 for less than $1,200. Maybe not the ideal setup for you but you can do alot with cam/carb setups.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts