V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
FOG
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Currently running 211's in a 95" motor.030Cometic's, SE Performance heads, Fatcat. Looking for a cam with gear drive that would give me about the same hp and torque. I don't want to have to worry about pinging as it is not a problem now. I only want to replace this cam because of the issue with the tensioners. Any ideas? Forgot the pistons are SE flattops.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had a similer setup with 203 cams and it pinged all the time. I switched to a woods gear drive tw5g. I have no pinging and I dyno'd at 95 hp and 104 torq. Best thing I ever did. Good luck.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
car_guy said:
I had a similer setup with 203 cams and it pinged all the time. I switched to a woods gear drive tw5g. I have no pinging and I dyno'd at 95 hp and 104 torq. Best thing I ever did. Good luck.
What year and make is the bike that pinged?
Is it carb or FI?
Why do you think the cam made the ping go way?

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
hotbikes said:
Currently running 211's in a 95" motor.030Cometic's, SE Performance heads, Fatcat. Looking for a cam with gear drive that would give me about the same hp and torque. I don't want to have to worry about pinging as it is not a problem now. I only want to replace this cam because of the issue with the tensioners. Any ideas?
Its no wonder you have no pinging problem with the 211...as its a cam designed for 10.5 to 1 compression. If you are only running 95" with stock heads and the cometic gasket, you are doing 9.6 compression most likely...the combination of that lower compression and cam is going to give you a soft bottom end at best. If you're happy with that, you should be able to find several cams that will make you happy.

For stock heads, I've heard loads of good/great reviews with the Andrews TW-26G...so that is the cam I'm most likely to recommend; but I've heard the S&S 510G cams are better in the midrange and similar, but slightly more agressive than the SE 204's.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
MegaGlide said:
Uh, Seahag, he's over 10:1. SE Heads and Cometics. SE w/ flat tops and stock gasket = 10:1...
Sorry, I missed the SE heads part. I'm usually a very carefull reader too:duh?:

Still that is a little on the low side for a 211 cam...but not much. Too much for the TW-26 I earlier recommended, and probably a bit too high for a ping free TW-37 either. Maybe the Woods Tw-6...Doc (HDMD88) has a lot more knowledge than I do, especially concerning Wood's cams...Hopefully he will chime in.

I know Hippo recommends the S&S 570G with the SE heads as a good performer with power everywhere.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
My fat butt is ping free at 10:1 w/ 37Gs, but he's over that w/ the gasket...
Not only are you usually a careful reader, but such a nice boy, to boot!

·
FOG
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I was thinking maybe a Andrews 37g also but after looking at the specs I am a little afraid of pinging. This build is for a tourer and I put a lot of miles on in the western states---can't always get the best fuel. I'm looking for something that would put me close to 100 lbs ft and still have good reliability for long trips on hot days. The 211's have been perfect so far but I'm afraid of the tensioners.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
In most cases the .03" gasket only boosts compression .1-.2 points...But I've heard of TW-37 cams pinging at 10:1 if not tuned properly...but that can really go for any cam. If you get a real good tuner like Doc or Ugly Dougly in Minnesota, you could run that 10.2 compression with a TW-37 and not have any problems...But it would mean your tune would have to be that much more precise.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Doc where are ya?? He'll tell you too or HDWRENCH and me as a matter of fact that the Woods TW5G is just a killer with the SE Heads. I just did my geardrive last month and ditched the chain drive SE251's for the Woods TW5G. Man, talk about some torque! I love that cam. Absolutely love it. No pops, backfiring, pings, bogging or hesitation.

I highly recommend it.

·
FOG
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
no doubt that a good tuner makes the dif. Doug has tuned this bike only I had Rineharts on it at that time. Thinking I will probably have him tune it again after I change the cams. Will have to wait until sometime in the spring though. I also thought about a tc-2g but I'm afraid that the torque will come on to late with this build. Don't know about pinging with it though. I feel that overall the 37 is a better cam. Just want to make sure I make the right choice this time. I want to be done with this thing. My thoughts are still leaning towards the 37g or possibly the S&S 570's since thats what Hippo recommends. I too, would like to hear his or Doc's thoughts on this.

·
FOG
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Timbo,
Do you have good low and mid range torque? Is there enough clearance with the 5g or do I have to make other mods? Looking at the timing of that cam (I'm no expert) I would expect it could have some pinging issues. Maybe I'm missing something? I hope you or someone can fill me in. The 5g appears to be close to the 203 but with higher lift. I had nothing but problems with 203's. Thanks

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
The tw5 is a very nice cam and Car Guy likes his,.. I would use it without a doubt, over the 37 in your set up. But you need roller rockers, and adjustable pushrods. I have seen dealer builds with them and without. The cam is a basic bolt in for your prings, you will have to make some room in the cam chest for the cam, but not very hard to do, you need a jack hammer and a chain saw, LOL whoops I mean a die grinder or a dremel tool and contact clean and masking tape, other than that you are golden

C/G How are you doing ?? have not heard from you. Drop me aline.

·
FOG
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Wrench,
Do you have a specific cam that you would rec. for my setup that I wouldn't have to go back on top and make changes with? I don't need the highest hp or torque cam, just something similar to my 211's. Of course I would like more power but not at the expense of causing pinging etc. Do you feel the tw5 would meet these needs if I didn't need the roller rockers?

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Problem is, you DO need the rollers. It's a .575 lift cam.
Without speaking for HDWRENCH, I think he's saying that he has seen dealer builds w/o rollers, not that it is wise to do so.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
hotbikes said:
Timbo,
Do you have good low and mid range torque? Is there enough clearance with the 5g or do I have to make other mods? Looking at the timing of that cam (I'm no expert) I would expect it could have some pinging issues. Maybe I'm missing something? I hope you or someone can fill me in. The 5g appears to be close to the 203 but with higher lift. I had nothing but problems with 203's. Thanks
The TW5G has excellent torque throughout the entire range. The only mods you'll have to do is *clearance the crank bearing boss so the lobes don't hit. Not hard to do. Use a die grinder or Dremel with a metal rasp.*Clearance your rockerbox covers. And *clearance your cam cover so the cam gear does not make contact with it. Go to a craft store and get yourself some bright colored clay. It makes proper clearancing of the rocker box and cam cover much easier.

There is absolutely no pinging with this cam. And I'm using the exact same SERT map that I had when I was running the SE251's. No pinging, backfiring, coughing, bogging or hesitation. Bike runs just flat out strong. And I get anywhere from 40-44 mpg.

·
FOG
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Megaglide,
I understand that I do need the rockers. I guess that my real question is if the 5 would give me the same ping free reliability as my 211's or if there is another cam he could recommend that would do the job. I am satisfied with the hp and torque I currently have, but, like everyone, would like more. I don't want to give up my reliability though. My other concern is the high lift shortening life. I ride a dresser and long miles. I don't need a stoplight to stoplight dragster. I've got another bike for that. My real question, which I asked in the thread was "what cam could I replace my 211's with that would give me similar or better performance in the same ranges and the same ping free reliability as the 211 in a gear drive cam?" I don't want to tear the heads off again. If one doesn't exist I'll just stay with the 211 and keep doing the tensioners. Thanks

·
FOG
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks Timbo---may be more work than I want to do. Have you ridden this combo in 90 or 100 degree heat under heavy load yet? What type of bike are you running this setup in?

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
C/G lives in tucson so he can tell you how his runs. I like the htcc and the tw5 it runs well and hits hard from the bottom end and pulls strong. Temps there are in the 110 range in the summer , you will have to use premium fuel other than that no issues. The 5 is a nice swap from the 211 it will provide you more bottom end. I like the cam very much as if works well with the SE set ups. Plus the bonus of gear drive.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
hotbikes said:
thanks Timbo---may be more work than I want to do. Have you ridden this combo in 90 or 100 degree heat under heavy load yet? What type of bike are you running this setup in?
Haven't ridden in those temps yet. High 70's low 80's. Here's what I've got:

04' Ultra
95"
SE Performance Heads
SE Flat Top Pistons
Woods TW5 gear drive cams
Roller Rockers
Smith Bros Adj Rods
Comp lifters
Baisley Oil Spring
SERT
Rinehart TD's