V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parts are slowly coming in for my Stage III build, Bean's shipping my heads and cylinders today I think. Anyhow, I'm looking at the special tools I'm going to need to complete this. I have reviewed Harley Hogs website whereas he changed out his cams with out the special tools by heating the cam plate and cooling the cams...that looks doable. I do have a friend that has access to the tools as a back-up. Okay, here's my questions, are the alignment pins a "must" have for installing the oil pump, is there an alternative? Do the inner cam bearings have to be changed out if the bike is low mileage (3K)? What else am I missing...what else can you recommend?

Build Specifics:

SE HC Pistons
BigBoyz Ported Heads (87cc)
Andrews TW44 Cams
Cometic .030 HG
Stock Pushrods & Lifters
Baisley/Latus Spring

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Gulfstream said:
My parts are slowly coming in for my Stage III build, Bean's shipping my heads and cylinders today I think. Anyhow, I'm looking at the special tools I'm going to need to complete this. I have reviewed Harley Hogs website whereas he changed out his cams with out the special tools by heating the cam plate and cooling the cams...that looks doable. I do have a friend that has access to the tools as a back-up. Okay, here's my questions, are the alignment pins a "must" have for installing the oil pump, is there an alternative? Do the inner cam bearings have to be changed out if the bike is low mileage (3K)? What else am I missing...what else can you recommend?

Build Specifics:

SE HC Pistons
BigBoyz Ported Heads (87cc)
Andrews TW44 Cams
Cometic .030 HG
Stock Pushrods & Lifters
Baisley/Latus Spring
I'm gonna reply, not because I know what I am talking about, but because my 95" kit is on the way as well. I have my own opinions of your answers, so If I am wrong, I hope to be corrected and we both can learn.

I was planning on lightly snugging the oil pump to the cam plate (not so tight that the pump won't move around) and turning the motor over a few times to let the oil pump seat itself...without the alignment pins. I believe this is an alternative method of aligning the oil pump.

I am changing the inner cam bearings. They are supposed to be supplied in the cam kit. Not sure how I am going to swap without the proper tools yet. I may have to rent them. If there is a way to change them without the proper tools, I am all ears (eyes?).

YB

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
Gulfstream said:
You can get a set of alignment pins for $28 so why would you take a chance on ruining something you just spent hundreds or thousands to put together. Besides I'm sure you could borrow them off somebody on this site. If you want, I'll lend you mine.:dunno:

If I'm not mistaken, stock H-D inner cam bearings are needle style and the one's you get with your cam intall kit are either Torrington or roller style. Both are superior to the stock H-D bearings. I borrowed the tool to remove and install the bearings from a friend. I think he paid $60 to buy it. Again why would you take a chance on loosing lots 'o' money cause you didn't spend just a little more for the proper tools. Just my -2$en#e-

:boobies: {salute(

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
SEDELUXE05 said:
my thoughts exactly king. and how many times have you put something in the oven and got occupied doing something else and it burned. would be an expensive lesson
Yep!!:beer4u:

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
The oven will work for most purposes to disassemble. There is a small O-ring that goes on the rear cam with stock chains. I don't know if they use that on the gear drives. Just a thought. Don't put any O-rings in the oven.

Removing and re-installing the inner bearings should only be done with the proper tools. You can get them from George's garage or maybe rent them from a VTF or other person. You really need those.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Well, that just about settles it for me. I think I will be buying a few more tools.

Thanks, YB

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Georges Garage excellent tools and good prices and great delivery !!!! You just cant beat it http://www.georges-garage.com/. I have almost of of the tools they sell.

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, me too...have to check with my friend, see if he has the stuff available. Is there a cam install kit with all the parts and gaskets??...I bought my cams used without the bearings. I guess I shouldn't be such a tight a$$ with the money.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
Gulfstream said:
Well, me too...have to check with my friend, see if he has the stuff available. Is there a cam install kit with all the parts and gaskets??...I bought my cams used without the bearings. I guess I shouldn't be such a tight a$$ with the money.
There is a cam install kit for the gear drives I understand. That's the one that has Torringtons. The one from HD is an update kit to replace the gaskets, bearings and O-rings in the chain drive configuration. It comes with the new rear roller bearing, a new front ball bearing but unfortunately only has the 2 OEM INA inner bearings which are not worthwhile.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I plan on doing some serious engine work next summer - since I will be doing my own labor, I plan to buy a bunch of George's tools - that way, I'll consider them free - that's the advantage of DIY !! OK - let's list what I will need to go 95" with a better cam - adjustable push rods - I'll have Bishop's install the pistons before they're shipped back to me so I won't need to remove the wrist pins.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
So lets make a list. Prices are from Geroges, desctriptions cut and pase.

Oil alignment screws $17
Cam Tensioner Unloader Tool TC88-All $23, I think you can use vice grips
Camshaft Remover & Installer TC88-All &$76
Cam/Crank Gear Locking Tool TC88-All $21, can you you shove peice of plastic in?
Inner Cam Bearing Puller Tool TC88-All $73
Inner Cam Bearing Installer Tool TC88-All $67

Is this it? You need all of the above? $277. Chunk of change. Not sure if you need all of this.

So lets make a list, and make it a sticky.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Even though the cost is around $300, the dealer will charge $60 per hour for at least 8-10 hours worth of labor. I still get the tools for free - ^rolleyez^ .

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Retired_Ted said:
Even though the cost is around $300, the dealer will charge $60 per hour for at least 8-10 hours worth of labor. I still get the tools for free - ^rolleyez^ .
I agree doing it your self pays for it. Not sure if need all of those or if there is one remover/installer that works.

Problem for me is I don't like renting. But $300 is a bit pricey. I am in the midst of scraping up the money. So renting might be an option. I guess for me cut off is somewhere around $150-200 for buying tools. I do like buying and glad to see Georges has some decent prices.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Psycho Cycles in Palm Coast, FL quoted me "no more than $200" to install my cams with me bringing all the parts. :clap:

Daytona Harley said $469 for Labor Only. :eek:

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Georges Garage

Has anyone used the Twin Cam tools that George's garage sells, more than a few times? Good as Jim's tools? I would be interested in seeing how they hold up. I am sure that they do, but I would like to hear from someone who has used them a number of times. The prices and warranty are good for sure.

thanks
greg

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Two installs no problems and did one primary gear change. All tools from Georges.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
berserker said:
I agree doing it your self pays for it. Not sure if need all of those or if there is one remover/installer that works.

Problem for me is I don't like renting. But $300 is a bit pricey. I am in the midst of scraping up the money. So renting might be an option. I guess for me cut off is somewhere around $150-200 for buying tools. I do like buying and glad to see Georges has some decent prices.

Consider also that shipping is expensive these days and the tools are rather heavy.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
newultraclassic said:
Consider also that shipping is expensive these days and the tools are rather heavy.
Yep, and renting you would have to pay shipping twice.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
I went to an autozone to get an inner bearing removal tool. The bearing puller cost me nothing. They let you use them for free. CC deposit gets refunded when you return the tool. I used the same tool to put the Torringtons in using a socket that was one size larger than the bearing. Use the bearing puller to knock the torringtons in. Carefully of course. :)

The oven method on the cam plate works great. Also put the new cams in the freezer they fall right into the cam plate when it comes out of the oven. I used the harley hog site to do all of the cam work. Put the baisley spring in the cam plate when you have the cam plate off the bike. Its easier to do it when its off the bike.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
cdirk said:
I went to an autozone to get an inner bearing removal tool. The bearing puller cost me nothing. They let you use them for free. CC deposit gets refunded when you return the tool. I used the same tool to put the Torringtons in using a socket that was one size larger than the bearing. Use the bearing puller to knock the torringtons in. Carefully of course. :)

The oven method on the cam plate works great. Also put the new cams in the freezer they fall right into the cam plate when it comes out of the oven. I used the harley hog site to do all of the cam work. Put the baisley spring in the cam plate when you have the cam plate off the bike. Its easier to do it when its off the bike.

In general, I would not knock the inner bearings in by hand. They need to be driven in slowly and squarely with the proper tool. There is a risk of deforming them and shortening their life.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts