V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally have all my parts together, I'd like to thank all the contributors here for thier enormous help, and patience . I'd especially like to thank HDwrench who helped with the final cam selection and I'm getting the cams from , and Grock and Doc for all thier help along the way . Also Megaglide , Springer and the rest of you great guys.

I'll post a dyno after the build is on the road and broken in .

I ended up with the following for those interested:

95" SE flat tops/cylinders
SE performance heads
Andrews TW31G cams
Cometic .030
SE adj. pushrods
Mikuni HSR 42 carb
Dyna TC88-2 ignition

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just curious what the driving factors where in you selection. I'm considering swapping out my 203 and adding SE heads. Like to keep low end torque high and more staying power. Also, did you have any work done to heads? Also, did you do it yourself or have a dealer do the work?

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
That sounds good and is nearly the same as what I have been thinking for my '03 Road King. The only difference is I have the EFI and Power Commander IIIr (already installed). I have a couple of questions that you can probably help with if you would be so kind:

1. What compression ratio will the SE performance heads, flat top pistons and .030 gaskets give you? My Excel spreadsheet says 10.2:1. Is that what you think?

2. Are there any valve/piston clearance issues without modifying the flatop valve cutouts?

thanks.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Good questions . While it is enticing to want the holy grail of performance , the truth is , I really don't ride fast most of the time. I putt along at 2800-3500 the vast majority of the time and ride two lane backroads through the North Georgia mountains. The straights are short and I just wanted something to allow me to get around the blue haired ladies in thier caddies.

I'm aware there is more performance available with other choices and had seriously considered Dewey's for heads. I read ad nauseum every thing I could for the past 2 years. I had considered many options , but my deciding factors were : Durability, Low end torque vs high end hp , and how I really ride vs the Tim Allen approach.

I went with the SE heads for what may seem like lame reasons:
A) they were a Christmans present ( I got the cylinders for my birthday)
B)this is a CVO bike , and the FXDWG2/3 were not "Screamin Eagles" although many think they were. This is a way to slip in a decent if not stellar head be in keeping with the CVO/SE theme of later years. It also allows me to keep the stock heads if any future owner (god forbid) chose to bring it back to original.

The cam choice was the tough one, I spoke with Andrwews, Bob Woods, and Steve (HDWrench) at GMR. I decided on the 31G with Steve's assistance as he has built a number of engines with them and they handle the increase compression better than the 37G. The folks who have similar builds here and on the HD Tech forum have not cited any clearance problems with the flat tops.

One guy over on the HD Tech forum switched from 37's to 31s due to pinging/detonation problem with a very similar build ( his was EFI , mine is carb) . He liked the 31s much better.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Can you give us any idea of your TQ/HP numbers with the 31 vs. the 37?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
31 vs 37 dyno

This is from the guy on the HD Tech Talk forum

"2 dyno charts with 95 inch injected FLHT, flat tops,S.E.Performance heads, S.E.slip on's, S.E. air cleaner. The chart with red and blue is Andrews 37 in blue Andrews 31 in red. Andrews 37 pinged at 2000-3000 on light acceleration. Bike has S.E. race tuner"

For those "blue members", I can email if you would like a copy

31G : max hp 96.2 @ 6200 max torque 95.6 lbs /ft @4000
37G max hp 89.8 @ 5200 max torque [email protected]

My build differs in 3 ways , it's carb with A Mik 42 and I'm using cometic .030 head gaskets and the Dyna ingition .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts