V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
poor scooter trash
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was talking about doing a 95" build last fall but didnt get around to it:whistle:

Im getting ready (for sure) to do it here in the next couple of months and wanted something that has the most horsepower possiable yet reliable.....I have an 04 king with 24k miles on it. I do put some miles on her:chopper:

I am thinking of buying a kit from Bill Bishop.....of course hes doing the heads and throttle body.

I have a guy here locally (reputable) who will be tearing it down and putting her back together.

Here is the list....all opinions are appreciated! Even the bad ones:sofa:

Approximately 100+* hp and 100+* ft-lb torque

Heads Stock, Stage 2 "HammerHeads",
milled for proper compression

Cylinders Bored Stock

Pistons 95" Keith Black 10.5:1

Cams Andrews TW60G + Gear-drive kit

Pushrods Adjustable, SE -or- S&S

Air Cleaner SE

Lifters SE -or- V-Thunder

Roller Rocker Arms # SE -or- S&S

EFI = stock throttle body, ported + SE race tuner

Clutch Rivera Pro-Clutch

Exhaust Rinehart true duals with optional High flow Baffles

So what ya think?

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
roadking outlaw said:
I was talking about doing a 95" build last fall but didnt get around to it:whistle:

Approximately 100+* hp and 100+* ft-lb torque

Heads Stock, Stage 2 "HammerHeads",
milled for proper compression

Cylinders Bored Stock

Pistons 95" Keith Black 10.5:1

Cams Andrews TW60G + Gear-drive kit

Pushrods Adjustable, SE -or- S&S

Air Cleaner SE

Lifters SE -or- V-Thunder

Roller Rocker Arms # SE -or- S&S

EFI = stock throttle body, ported + SE race tuner

Clutch Rivera Pro-Clutch

Exhaust Rinehart true duals with optional High flow Baffles

So what ya think?
It seems obvious from your parts list, you haven't been reading all the similar posts to yours lately. For one thing, your nickname suggests that you have a roadking, and yet you aren't planning to use any of the often recommended torque cams for heavier bikes...which I find strange.

FYI...If I had to do my build over again, I wouldn't be using high comp domed pistons for 10.5 compression...I'd be sticking with the flat top cast pistons or hypers from KB and using a cam suited for 9.5-10 compression instead. I think I've finally gotten mine dialed in to the point where it won't ping anymore; but it was a cantankerous bitch to get set just right...even with the help of a dyno tuner.

·
poor scooter trash
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the posts everyone:

SEDELUXE05: I dont know about the advance key? Thats just the kit package I dont know what Terry (my builder) is going to do as far as fine tuning when he puts it back together.....thanks for the heads up and Ill ask him.

I have heard that jims actualy makes the lifters for S.E. My builder said he'd use jims or S.E. Ill ask him if he's heard anything.

Ill check that dino section today...thanks

Seahag: Yes, I do have a Rk, I did a search on 95" and didnt turn up anything.....I admit I didnt try to hard. I figured Id have to do the wild card thing but cant remember how to do it....its been a while since ive been on v-twin....

So the flattops are less proned to ping? or is it just the compression is factor? Im not challangeing you just trying to understand.....I am kinda a newbe at the engine stuff:duh?:

As far as the cam....one of my friends looked it up and said that that cam may not be well suited for my bike cause of it being heavier like you said......he said i need something with more lift and less duration?

Terry is now trying to seer me twards T.R's parts.....he works with him quite a bit and now im trying to justify the $$$$.

Hes still going to do the build but get T.R. to do the heads and get all the parts from him. said Id be real happy if I could swing it.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
why flat tops........

My understanding is that flat tops with ported stock heads that are decked to raise the compression provide more turbulence in the compressed charge, which then leads to lessening the chance of pinging.

I hear the SE HTCC heads and pistons are bad about pinging with pump gas. Difficult to tame.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Tots right on....For an example of what you missed this week that is related to your question check out this thread:

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65497

In there you will see the details for one of the best performing, street performance packages on which nearly everyone in the know agrees...and its perfect for heavy bikes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Totenkopf said:
I hear the SE HTCC heads and pistons are bad about pinging with pump gas. Difficult to tame.
:dunno:

I have a 95" SE HTCC that was done "by-the-book", complete with the canned SE EFI flash for the build.

You couldn't get this motor to ping (on 91 unleaded) if you beat it with a stick! Using the SE 251 cam (intake [email protected] deg. ABDC), 10.5:1 cr is no problem. More than enough power to suit a loaded, 2-up bagger.

The only issue I have with the build is the "marbles in a can" noise emitted by the valve train. I'm working on solving that with a Baisley spring and AMS lifters.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Triple Z said:
:dunno:

I have a 95" SE HTCC that was done "by-the-book", complete with the canned SE EFI flash for the build.

You couldn't get this motor to ping (on 91 unleaded) if you beat it with a stick! Using the SE 251 cam (intake [email protected] deg. ABDC), 10.5:1 cr is no problem. More than enough power to suit a loaded, 2-up bagger.

The only issue I have with the build is the "marbles in a can" noise emitted by the valve train. I'm working on solving that with a Baisley spring and AMS lifters.
Glad you have a combination that is working! My motor guru sees all the problems coming through his shop door looking for help. He told me today that he has seen more pinging problems with the HTCC stuff than anything else. He was glad I went with flat tops and decked heads, so am I.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
I have a friend with a complete HTCC setup...Great performing motor with fuel injection on my buddies road glide....but only after he bought a race tuner and had it professionally dyno tuned. Before that, pinging was a big problem when outside temps were above 85*. I've had the same problem with mine at 10.5 compression. I've got it worked out now...but I see the same performance numbers out of 9.8 to 1 builds using the andrews TW-37 cams....I would have gone that way in hindsight if I had known better at the time.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Seahag said:
I have a friend with a complete HTCC setup...Great performing motor with fuel injection on my buddies road glide....but only after he bought a race tuner and had it professionally dyno tuned. Before that, pinging was a big problem when outside temps were above 85*. I've had the same problem with mine at 10.5 compression. I've got it worked out now...but I see the same performance numbers out of 9.8 to 1 builds using the andrews TW-37 cams....I would have gone that way in hindsight if I had known better at the time.
Amen on that do over.

Just don't know if I can go back though, the thing really does haul a&&.

It really is torque, and not speed that is fun to me.

98" with 9.8:1 and a 37 is supposed to kick butt.

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
Bill Bishop ports the intake manifold along with the heads. That may be what RKoutlaw ment rather than the throttle body.

·
poor scooter trash
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Milehog said:
Bill Bishop ports the intake manifold along with the heads. That may be what RKoutlaw ment rather than the throttle body.
Yes Thanks for clairifying that Milehog....Like I said new to the engine stuff.

Thanks for the link Seahag Ill check that out....

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Your build sounds good for dyno numbers, but real worl usage is going to suffer, Look for a build making good tq numbers low and you will have a nice ride. 95 with a 37 works nice, or a 26 works very well for heavier bikes.

Take a look at the 98 inch post you will see how a big fat tq curve looks that equals one quick bagger./

1 - 13 of 13 Posts