V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently running the SE 16 Guage on my 04 FXDI and want to keep these pipes. Also doing a 95 build which will include headwork, Andrews 37G cams and Power Commander. Is there a way to increase the loudness of these pipes, such as the VH Quiet Baffels, or do I have to upgrade to the VH Big Shot Staggereds to increase the sound? I know these are not the best pipe choices for performance but really like the look and want to get the most sound and performance out of them. Thanx for any comments or advice.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
superglide537 said:
Currently running the SE 16 Guage on my 04 FXDI and want to keep these pipes. Also doing a 95 build which will include headwork, Andrews 37G cams and Power Commander. Is there a way to increase the loudness of these pipes, such as the VH Quiet Baffels, or do I have to upgrade to the VH Big Shot Staggereds to increase the sound? I know these are not the best pipe choices for performance but really like the look and want to get the most sound and performance out of them. Thanx for any comments or advice.
I don't like to get into these pipe posts just because people don't listen to the truth about pipes they have their heart set on so maybe and hopefully Roy Young and Stan can chime in and tell you how the wrong pipes can rob you of all you try to do for performance.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
@gree:
Absolutely right Doc, I can't understand why people put good money into a motor build and then negate the gains with the wrong pipes. What's the point.
And don't say "some people don't want to squeeze out the last bit of power". If you are building a 120" or 145", sure, whats a few pounds when you have more than you will ever use (unless you are at the track). But on a 95' build, take all you can get.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
I would highly recommend the V&H Propipe for power AND for the sound. Am I wrong Doc, about the power? Sound is definitely strictly a personal opinion.
Steve....Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
2-1's are good, but for 2-2's I think you'd be wise to pick up a set of Samson rolled Ovals or some A/R pipes by Khrome Werks.
Bassani pro streets are said to be strong performers as well, for a 2-2.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I know that you probably want to take out a second mortgage to get the work done, but if you are looking for an inexpensive alternative to the better known set ups try Cycle Shack M series slip ons with the stock head pipes. Great performers (I don't do sound either, but these things have more decibels than what you are using if that's what you are looking for). Easy to alter the baffles, too. We have achieved nice results on the dyno with the 95", 37, heads, raised compression, good pipes set up. Keep in mind, too, that the pipes you are running now will have a different sound with the mods you are doing although they are not the best for producing power. Bassani Prostreets have been nice runners also, especially with bigger cams and cubes if you are trying to stay with 2 - 2.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
steveusmc said:
I would highly recommend the V&H Propipe for power AND for the sound. Am I wrong Doc, about the power? Sound is definitely strictly a personal opinion.
Steve....Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003
Its one of my favorites Steve...and your right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts