Well, the new motor in the 04 Heritage got put on the dyno today. The build is:

95" w SE flattops
SBC Scottsman heads
Andrews 37G cams
D&D fatcat exhaust
SE adj. pushrods
new stock lifters
Baisley spring

It was to also have 030 cometic head gaskets, but due to miscommunication it got the stock gaskets. I may put them in later, but honestly, it runs so good I may just leave it.

I had it done at Custom Perfomance in Phoenix. After about and hour and a half, Nick had the PC map where he wanted it, and was making the last pull, when the bike suddenly went lean on him. After trying another PC and some additional checks, he found that the hose from the fuel pump to the tank fitting had a hole in it, therefore, the pump couldn't supply enough fuel to the injectors, as it was all going back into the tank. One of the local dealers had the parts, Nick sent one of his people to get them, and they installed them promptly, and then back to the dyno.

Now, with non leaking hoses, the fuel pressure had changed, so Nick had to completely redo the whole map. He got it dialed in in a hour or so, and all I can say is WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! The before and after numbers don't show all that much difference, but the butt dyno can sure feel it.

I don't have a scanner, so I took a picture of the dyno sheet with the digital cam. I'm not real impressed with the numbers, as I thought this build would be closer to 100, but I am in no way unhappy with the way it runs.

Also, I would heartily recommend Custom Performance to anyone in the area looking to have some work done. Very professional, friendly, and excellent work. To boot, Nick didn't charge me for 2 dyno sessions, although he would have been acceptable to do so because he essentially did the whole thing twice because the bike decided to break while in his care.

Teu

P.S. Feel free to critique the build and/or the results, I have very thick skin

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
There is more power to be had, the fuel needs work and some timing changes are in order to smooth out the lines....unless the smoothing was on #1 that is.
The characteristics of the heads, pipe, and cams your using usually yeild 75 to 80 tq at 2000 rpm and a total of around 101hp and 103tq. Having a Power Commander leaves no excuse for not optimizing the fuel circuit, you can pick up another 3 to 4 ponies right there.
Its still all and all a fun bike to ride no doubt.....have fun and be carefull.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
By leaving the .030" gaskets out you leave a lot on the table.

On these builds much of the gain comes from matching the CR to the cam.

Leaving one of the building blocks out kills power all around. In fact the same build with the gaskets and stock heads would give you about the same numbers.

Someone either got real lazy or fell asleep at the wheel.

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
Just a FYI,

I have 85 hp and 94 tq. without head work. And I have pipes that don't make the power the D&D's are capable of. And I have the 37b.

Tq. hits 80 @ 2000 and peaks at 4200. Got a dip in between cause of the pipes.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
vafatboy makes a good point. Those are numbers for that combo WITHOUT heads. Hippo also has the right idea as this combo needs a bit more compression (and even more timing adjustments) for the cam to really "hit". I can almost guarantee that no timing mods were done to the map and never was a big fan of the fatcat, but like the Doc says, beats the hell out of stock, huh?? Vafat, 10 lbs of TQ and a little earlier power rise await you (assuming the heads were not milled) if you want to be all that you can be. As usual with EFI, it's mostly in the tuning.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for the critiques. After reading all of this, and the replies on another forum, I am beginning to rethink not installing the gaskets. If I were to install them, would it change my fuel needs much? I'm thinking that just a bump in the CR should change them very little if any at all.

Teu

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
GRock said:
vafatboy makes a good point. Those are numbers for that combo WITHOUT heads. Hippo also has the right idea as this combo needs a bit more compression (and even more timing adjustments) for the cam to really "hit". I can almost guarantee that no timing mods were done to the map and never was a big fan of the fatcat, but like the Doc says, beats the hell out of stock, huh?? Vafat, 10 lbs of TQ and a little earlier power rise await you (assuming the heads were not milled) if you want to be all that you can be. As usual with EFI, it's mostly in the tuning.
GRock,

Heads are not milled or ported. I did use .030 cometic. I'm happy with it, but now that our friend is feeling better, I see some pro streets in my future. When I did this last winter his work load was pretty heavy.

But good things are worth waiting for:

I spoke with him last summer and in five minutes I knew that this guy speaks the truth, even if he won't get your business. That says a lot about the guy.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
SILVER BULLET said:
The man that your talking about has heads ported and ready to ship. His name is Dr. Pork Sword.
:duh?:
Bullet,
Glad to see that there are no ill effects from your attack. If anything, you are sicker than before!!!

vafat,
pork sword there is ready to get his merchandise to you. You will be in the hundred - hundred range with a good tuner. Tell him the Rock said to throw in a bottle of L J for good measure.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Bullet,
Glad to see that there are no ill effects from your attack. If anything, you are sicker than before!!!
Isn't that the truth....whats next, a sewer pickle in the lizzard juice trick.:yikes:
Ahhhh but he is the man, ain't he :bowdwn: ....long live the BULLET!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts