V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
(hp x 5252) / rpm = :)
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It does not stay on constantly.....on for a minute or so then of for a minute then back on....sometimes off for a few minutes.....no certain speed or gear makes it come and go...blah blah blah....

Is this a major concern or is it just tied to being a new build and there's some stupid little diagnostic reset type of thing that the HD dealer needs to do/charge me for and point the finger at the indy?

BTW, SAE shows TQ 98.72 with HP 83.52 at 4200'ish range....running it rich for the 500 break-in then full tune so will be able to post the first of two dyno sheets at that point. The first sheet will be the build fully tuned with the Rinehart True Duals that I already have on the bike......then I am switching the exhaust out for D & D FatCat 2-1 and go through the full tune again......

One of these sets of pipes will be for sale pretty quickly after that......

Now back to the little engine light question...:)

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Just unplug it....... :whistle:

·
Registered
7 Posts
the computer is telling you that you have acode stored in system.you need to have dealer remove code.when ever light keeps going on and off this is what is normaly going.I had same thing on my build

·
Registered
362 Posts
Here are the error codes and alarm codes that I found on the web.

Kenny

·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can I still ride the thing for break-in?

I will head to the dealer on Tuesday for this so thanks much for the response.....shouldn't hurt anything by riding it in the meantime though right?

·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Figured out the reason it was happening...

Yesterday I called the dealer and set up an appt for this morning to get an answer to the orange light.

That said, yesterday afternoon I spent about 2 hours cleaning the bike and during that I noticed that the spark plug wire on the front cyl was not fully seated.....and thinking nothing of it I pushed it all the way on and that was that.

I get up this morning and hop on the bike and took it in for the service......you guessed it......NO LIGHT THE WHOLE TRIP THERE!!! I get there, tell the wrench that I think that was the issue and left. Rode the remaining 140 miles left for my 500 break-in (dying to put the FatCat on and full tune).....and as I start heading back to drop the bike off at the indy....you guessed it....THE LIGHT WAS BACK ON!!!

I think to myself....."Self, check the spark plug wire again".....and sure enough the wire (the back cyl this time though) seemed to vibrate its way off just enough to upset the check engine light.....pushed it back on all the way and all is good.

Is this something easy to fix? One could change the wires or maybe pinch the top of the ones I have? Who makes good wires?

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I'd just suspect you failed to seat the wires properly. I think I'd be tempted to also check them at the coil.

·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The culprit....

....was the little chrome spark plug covers.....which I did not have on the bike when it went in for the build but had on it when the build was done...

I am all about the indy giving away free parts but wtf? All is good now since I took those off....no more engine light.

Had the 500 mile tune done and replaced the Rinehart TD's with the D & D FatCat....see dyno sheet I posted to:

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76650

Rinehart = Red and FatCat = Blue

Comments on the sheet are certainly welcome....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts