V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to finish my 95" build. Cams are the last phase. I'm installing 37G's and had planned to advance them 2 degs to lower the power band down to 2000 from 2200 rpms to add some additional bottom end. (I've already installed 3.37 gearing.)

The bike is an '02 Softail, (predominantly a bar hopper).

Originally, I ran torque cones in a SE 2 into 1 with no baffle to help build significant torque you could feel, and help manage reversion in the 88. On tear down, no regrets as everything looked great!

The heads I installed are Scottsman 80 cc by SBC's, SE flat tops, comp approx 9.7-9.8:1 with Cometic .030's., blueprinted/flowed CV40 with Thunderslide/jet kit, 48 slow, 200 high, Super Sucker style K&N aircleaner..

Is advancing the cams warranted? I'm installing the same SE 2 into 1 with no torque cones. Curious as I should have my new cam support plate in a few days and I'm gong to finish it up. Just as easy to install the 2 deg. key as leave it out. Wondering what affect the key will have on static compression?

Thoughts/recommendations appreciated.

DLR

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
I would skip the key. Too much possibility of detonation. If it were mine I would be inclined to run the tw44g with that compression. I would also put the baffle back in with the TQ cones and trim the baffle down a bit or loose the TQ cones and modify the baffle with the washer and added holes as shown on HTT board.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where are you referring to "in the HTT forum..."
Thanks,
DLR

·
Shithead
4,836 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
With the 3.37 you really don't need the +2, you'll lose top end

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Who makes the +2 degree sprocket? Whoops, just noticed 37G...must be a gear drive thing.

·
Registered
755 Posts
DLRVelocity1 said:
Thoughts/recommendations appreciated.

DLR
The 37G's with compression in the upper nines / low 10's, flowed heads, 95", and a 2-1 pipe is going to hook up very nicely down low already. Add to that the 3.37 gearing and there is no reason to advance those cams IMO.

Nice job on that build by the way. Good combo.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the compliments and advice on the 2 deg. advance key. Sorta what I was thinking, but it's always good to get someone else's educated opinion. Appreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts.
DLR

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Gulfstream Woods makes the advance keys which come in a set of +2 and +4 , with a 3.15 they are a nice addition.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I am running the 37's, mine are chains and I was thinking of switching to 37G's and adding the advance key but the more I ride it(it's a pretty new build, less than 500 miles so far) the less willing I am to give up anything anywhere else like the top end. There's plenty of power down low and twisting the throttle on this thing is more addictive than crack!!
Anyhow, I am gonna pass on the 2*key, that would be my advice to you as well, especially on the FXST with 3:37's, no need for it!
You are really gonna love the build and the power is amazing! and on that light bike, OH BABY!!!

Oh yeah, get a real V&H ProPipe and leave the baffle in!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I may have missed something but I thought that Andrews reground their 37g and now it reflects a built in +2 degrees. I understand that they did this because folks were going to the +2 degree dear anyway so they just built in the +2 degrees right from the factory. I think the change was made sometime late last year so you might want to check your cam's specs with the new Andrews specs to see which one you have....I may have missed something but if it were me, I would check before I went the trouble of installing +2 degree gear route just to find that I had just upped it a total of +degrees

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
When I talked to Andrews about this, I was told that only a ver few were produced with the old specs. According to this guy only a couple of dozen were produced with the old specs. Now who knows if this guy knows what he's talking about??
I know that following the conversation, I just assumed I had the one with the newer spec.....
here's a recent thread on it...

http://65.38.172.84/forums/showthread.php?t=71038

As it turns out, the 37B appearently was the chain cam with the new specs and the gear cam has had em all along....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts