V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have asked alot of questions and read ..lets say enough posts to fill weeks of reading. For those interested
04 Ultra
88 to 95 bored (shop)
26 Gear cams (GMR) (Slight Whirring at idle but very quiet at run)
Baisley spring (LMR02) (Baisley)
HD Adj Push Rods (Benjy's)
HD Flat top pistons Benjy's)
95 stage 2 flash (Benjy's
DFO (Had it)
Cometic gaskets .30 (GMR)
New lifters (GMR)
Stage 1 flash (Had it)
True duals w/ HD performance slip ons (Had them)
SE intake (Had this also)
Cost: Total about 1100.00 total parts

Just got back from shop today. Wonderful job. I went 150 miles today and bike runs great. A VERY little decel popping but just breaking in. DFO set at 3,4,4,7 (I will fine tue after break in but plugs looked great after ride today)
I did not get on it but after about 75 miles I was getting anxious so with a roll on it pulled very strong from 50 to 85. Had more but did not want to push it.
I think this is a great build for a Ultra. Not to high and not to low on where the power comes on.
I had Mark Long Cycles in Fredericksburg VA do the work. (Bobby) Great place! You even get to walk back and talk with the mechanic!
My thanks to HDWRENCH, and BaggerDad for both parts, information and also just general reassurance. :thanks: At a couple times I thought this was getting out of hand for my budget. So many opinions and so much reading. These two guys helped the most but I also thank all others that post because without everyones input it would be that much harder to make a good decission.:thumbsup:
All I can say at this point is that I am very happy!:)If any one has a question feel free to ask or I can post it here. By the way, cost: pts, labr and boring -2440.00.
More than I expected but it always does.
Sorry for the long post but wanted to try and be complete. Questions? Just ask. Thanks again to All!!!!!! Ultra04

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
Gotta love the 95" 21 & 26G bolt in torquey builds for the heavey baggers. I sure am enjoying mine:D

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Ultra04 said:
I have asked alot of questions and read ..lets say enough posts to fill weeks of reading. For those interested

I think this is a great build for a Ultra. Not to high and not to low on where the power comes on.

More than I expected but it always does.
Bill

Good to hear your initial impressions are positive.

IMHO, and different strokes for different folks - I believe since we have a touring bikes, record setting peak power numbers or class-winning quarter-mile times aren't needed. Those characteristics usually come at the expense of rideability. Instead, a bagger should have instant power and response for quick, safe passes on two-lane roads, even two-up, with the kind of midrange that lets the rider just turn the throttle to access the fat part of the engine's power. The needs of a touring bike are different from the need's of a pure performance bike - unless you plan on touring the bike a quarter-mile at a time. A touring bike should be easy to ride and have the kind of TQ at lower rpm that a bike like a bagger needs.

When I get a chance I'll check out Mark Long's shop. Do they dyno tune bikes?

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No Dyno

BaggerDad,
No Dyno at Mark Longs American Ironhorse. I would not call these guys tuners, but for what I needed and being knowledgable it was perfect fit.
I used the HD download chip and then used preset numbers from TFI for the DFO. After break in I may have to do a little fine tuning but it runs perfect now.
Marks has some beautiful bikes (one up choppers) but cannot picture myself riding one of those, let alone my wife and I:nope: .
They are in process of expanding. Trying to make more showroom size. Not much to see right now. In summer they do a pretty nice bike show and all bikes are welcome. It is accross from the Eagles on Cool Springs Rd.
Thanks again for the help. Ultra04

·
Registered
786 Posts
No pinging? Unless you got real lucky I bet you may have to go to PC111 or some other device to be able to set the ignition tables once the weather warms up.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Glad to hear that everything is going well and that you love the build. Would like to see a dyno sheet if and when you have it done.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Stock Heads

Ultra,

Are your heads stock?

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heads

dcfatboy,

Yes

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I had Mark Long Cycles in Fredericksburg VA do the work. (Bobby)
Is that Bobby Mock? Good guy if it's who I'm thinking of. Sounds like you are happy and that will make for good times when the weather clears up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts