V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all,

I've been reading this forum for about a year and learned a lot from all of you HD gurus. I have never posted prevously but now that I'm planning my 95" build I thought I would get some input from you guys.

I have an 05 FLHRCI with a Stage 1, PIIIUSB and V&H Ovals that will probably be changed to the Big Shot duals. This are my stats, I'm 190lb, ride mainly solo but the wife (130lb) rides with me as much as possible, mainly weekends. I ride all day every day, I don't drive a car, so a lot of LA traffic. I do 200 to 300 mile rides on the weekends and will be crossing country this summer, California to Florida.
So a very reliable build is key. I ride mainly low/mid rpms but like being able to twist it and get out of there fast, specially when I have a big truck by my side trying to cut me off.
I'm still under warranty and also have the 7 year extended one. My dealer told me that if I do the Stage II with the 203 cams the warranty wont' be affected. He also told me I dont' really need to do anything to the heads for this build, that the stocks are fine. Here are my questions:

I hear a lot about the 204 instead of the 203, is this a better cam for my type of riding? I also read that the 204 with the Crane 4 degree advanced sprocket is a great setup, dont really know what advancing 4 degrees would do and if this setup is the correct one for the Stage II cylinders, compression and pistons.
Dealer also told me that I would be better off with the Race tuner than the PCIII, funny thing is that they sold me the PC to start with. Would it make a big difference changing to the Race tuner?
My goal really is to give my bike a boost in power but does not need to be a power monster. I like how my bike runs now, just would like more power when I give it some gas.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
Since you already own the PCIII I would stay with it. You also mention that you are happy with the power as it is, so any additional would be better, in that case just doing the cams and a stage 2 should be bood for you. I personally like the 204's but if they will only warranty a build with 203's, go that route. I would for go the advance sprocket, just added cost for what it sounds like you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it's not that I'm that happy with the power I have right now, I definintely feel like I need a upgrade, I juts like how the bike rides now, I would like the same type setup at a higher power output if that makes any sense.
I do think I will stay with the PC for now, I can always swap to the Race tuner down the line. Also how about adding a .30 cometic gasket? would this help?
So this build looks good?

95" SE Big Bore Kit with 204 cams and Crane 4 degree advanced sproket
PCIII USB
V&H Big Shot Duals
Cometic .30 Gasket?

What power increase I'm I looking at with this setup?

thanks

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
IMO, the cometic gasket help by tightening up the quench and not some much the bump in compression.

To just have more power, your build as mentioned will do that for you and you will probably be happy with it. You could do more and get more but it boils do to how much do you want to do and how much do you want to spend.

I wouldn't be looking for specific numbers with the build. Your tuner will make the bigest difference on what you get.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
My response might not be exactly what you're looking for, but I've got an '05 RK Classic too. I had a build done with Baisley heads, 95 in kit, 9.5 comp, Andrews 37G cams, 3.37 final drive, Doherty intake w/ a K&N filter, 2 degree advance key, PCIII, beefed up clutch, Vance & Hines ProPipe HS, yada yada yada.

This bike breaks the bank. I got a nice, mild build with all sorts of power where I need it in a reliable motor; nice tractable power when and where I want it. Pulls 101 max HP, and 110 lbs of torque.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts