V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm assemblying my jugs and heads as I write this. The gasket is the .030 Cometic head gasket. The Cometic install instructions say that "there should be no over hang of the gasket in the bore..." I've got .020-.025 hanging over the piston all the way around. Is this normal? Piston @TDC never makes it to the gasket, I checked. Also installed the head bolts to "center the gasket.

I'm worried that I may not have the right gasket?

Need urgent reply.

Thanks.

DLR

·
Banned
69 Posts
You have the wrong gasket

There should be absolutely no overhang of the gasket in the bore. Either you have the wrong bore or the wrong gasket. Are you sure you have the 95 bores installed and not the 88's?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
95" pistons installed in the 95" jugs perfectly.. I measured the gasket diameter, and what do ya know... Cometic made a boo boo... Packed 88" gaskets in a 95" part numbered packet... Thanks for the help. I was off wrenching on other things while the response came back...

Damn, held for (3) things now....7/16, 1/2 inch dog bones and the RIGHT head gaskets...LOL.. Oh well. It's a long winter and I'm ahead of schedule anyhow..Don't want to run out of things to do before we ride again!

Thanks,

DLR

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
pa-glazier said:
This is how you use the dog bone wrench to tighten the back rocker cover bolt. Up side down torque wrench and dogbone at a 90° to the torque wrench.
Where did you find the dogbone? I'm looking for the right ones to torque my motor back together. Thanks.

·
Just the facts ma'am
96 Posts
GPO03FatBoy said:
Where did you find the dogbone? I'm looking for the right ones to torque my motor back together. Thanks.
I second this request. Tear down of my build is complete and starting the assembly process. I'd like to purchase before actually needing the tool.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

95" kit supplied by hdwrench
Andrews 26g cams
2002 FLSTF

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
DLRVelocity1 said:
I'm assemblying my jugs and heads as I write this. The gasket is the .030 Cometic head gasket. The Cometic install instructions say that "there should be no over hang of the gasket in the bore..." I've got .020-.025 hanging over the piston all the way around. Is this normal? Piston @TDC never makes it to the gasket, I checked. Also installed the head bolts to "center the gasket.

I'm worried that I may not have the right gasket?

Need urgent reply.

Thanks.

DLR
FYI,

Just in case this doesn't come with your gasket.

Look at page 36 for the sequence, steps and values.

http://www.cometic.com/catalogs/HDCat04.pdf

I can tell you that I didn't cut off the brass rivet and they interfer with the pushrod tubes just enough to be annoying.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
vafatboy said:
FYI,

Just in case this doesn't come with your gasket.

Look at page 36 for the sequence, steps and values.

http://www.cometic.com/catalogs/HDCat04.pdf

I can tell you that I didn't cut off the brass rivet and they interfer with the pushrod tubes just enough to be annoying.
The brass rivet location has changed away from the pushrod tube. Must be an older production run, maybe 1 year old or more.

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
ViennaHog said:
The brass rivet location has changed away from the pushrod tube. Must be an older production run, maybe 1 year old or more.

That's good news, just a "little" engineering oversight. Got mine around January 2005. Don't know when it was made.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah,

My included directions don't discuss the removal of the brass o-ring, but I'll check it anyhow. Oh, and on the dogbones, thanks for the access tip, (upside down @90 degs.). I knew there was a way. Saved me some time. I'm pretty sure we're going to have to go to the Snap On Man...He quoted me $127 / 5 piece chrome and $117 / 6 piece black oxide. Can't find'em anywhere else...

Thanks again,

DLR

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
DLRVelocity1 said:
Yeah,

My included directions don't discuss the removal of the brass o-ring, but I'll check it anyhow. DLR
Install the gasket and if the ring is in the wrong spot, just cut it off. It doesn't serve any other purpose than holding the layered gasket together.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
That what you wanted? You should subscribe though. It is only 15 a year and it helps support this great site.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Dog Bones

Hey just run down to Harbor Freight buy 2 cheap 3/8" wrenches, the two socket sizes, whack the box end off the wrench, weld a socket on each one and woolahh two very cheap dog bones for using a 3/8" torque wrench.

This was taught, and shown to me by Dynatherapy, and is what we will use when we tear into it this time to R&R the exploded rocker support plate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.