V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I'm that guy that the dealership loves, all mainenance done by them....But I can't seem to stomach paying $130 for a $60 battery.
So how do you get the blinking battery out of this thing.

Bill

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Remove the seat first. Then the battery cover will come off the top and around the battery. Look on the left side of the battery tray that there are two bolts going into the frame. Loosen these bolts. Now back up on top of the frame behind the battery, there is a bolt that raises and lowers the battery tray. Lower the battery tray. Disconnect battery cables (negative first always). Remove battery

or

Remove the seat by removing the single bolt at the rear of the seat that screws into the rear fender. Lift the rear of the seat and pull to the rear. The seat should come out.

Now, look on the right side of the for two bolts between the battery and rear fender. These are "lock bolts" for the battery tray. Loosen them but don't take them out.

Look just inboard into the frame from the battery and you should see a bolt head. This is a "jack bolt". Turn the bolt counterclockwise and the battery tray lowers allowing you to get the battery top cover and surround.

Once that's off, you can get to the battery cables and battery posts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks WrenchFury

I knew the bolts you where talking about from the frustrating day of trying to figure it out myself. The one acting as a jackscrew was the piece of the puzzle that I was missing. Battery was replaced this morning.

RocketBill

Oh Yeah, that statment about a $60 battery was a gross under estimate, but I can do it myself now. Tomorrow will try changing the oil myself....

·
Registered
28 Posts
I knew the bolts you where talking about from the frustrating day of trying to figure it out myself. The one acting as a jackscrew was the piece of the puzzle that I was missing. Battery was replaced this morning.

RocketBill

Oh Yeah, that statment about a $60 battery was a gross under estimate, but I can do it myself now. Tomorrow will try changing the oil myself....
Be sure and use AMSOIL! It is the best by far!

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
works nice to put a piece of flexible cardboard behind the filter and out
the frame tubes (rip some off a empty case of beer) bfore you twist it
off. keeps the nasty off your motor/ connections. stuffs not good for the
rubber in the motor mount either (if that applies).

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
works nice to put a piece of flexible cardboard behind the filter and out
the frame tubes (rip some off a empty case of beer) bfore you twist it
off.
I usually flatten the box that the filter came in but, beer case is good too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts