V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 93 nostalgia with the 1340 Evo engine. I'm having trouble finding the transmission oil drain plug. I bought 2 service manuals and looked in the owners manual. It's supposed to be on the bottom right side of the trans case. I see 4 hex bolts & 4 button head allen bolts that look like fasteners. I see one bolt in the middle of the right side of the trans between the right shock and the frame which I believe is the plug but I can't get to it with a tool. Is this the drain and if so how do you get it out? If not, where is the drain? Thanks for any help.:hmmm:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
sounds like the one. get an allen key which fits the primary drain plug, they are the same on my 92 fattty and cut it down until it fits in that finger burning space, then gently take it out 1 flat at a time. i mangled mine in the 1st 14 years of ownership so just swapped it for the primary one, no probs dude

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Well, the drain plug is on the right side of the transmission. It is a #27 Torx I beleive.
It is a bear to get out because of it's location. It is behind the front exhaust pipe header. It is above the frame and below the chrome side cover on the trans, right in the center between the two bottom bolts for the trap door assy. May have to clean off the dirt to find it.
There is a drip flange welded on the frame below the drain plug to help keep the mess down when the trans fluid drains.
Good luck getting thet sucker out with out a right angle #27 Torx wrench.
I know of what I speak, I have a "93 Heritage.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Yes, they changed somewhere along about that time. The torx drain plug was the only one available after the change, both for transmission and primary. I always look real close before deciding whether to use an allen or torx cause even bikes from the 80's could have the newer torx drain plugs in them.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Well my "93 and my buds "93 both have the Torx drain plug for the Trans and the Primary. They were "93 1/2 models, we ordered them in September "92and took delivery in April "93.
Took me a while to figure out it was a 27 not a 25 but I have no buggered one up yet.
"93 was also the first year of the head breather motor, so they made a few suttle changes that year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts