V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just recently purchased my first HD. It is a 92 softail that I have been looking at for several years. I finally got a call from the guy about selling it. I have had some disappointing moments with it so far. The carb idle air screw vibrated out and that gave me a fit. After I straightened that out the rear caliper locked up on the rotor and warped the rotor. Found that the guy had ran the wires throught the handlebars and twisted the wires together and electrical taped them(note to self: smoke coming from switch housing is not a good thing). So at this time I have the handlebars off and the switches out. My plans are to correctly do this. My plans are to actually unsolder the wires on the switches and add new wire. If there are any objections please feel free to comment. This bike is what I call HULK green. Is there anything else I need to look at doing to this bike that will help with performance. I am figuring everyhting is stock.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
:welcome: to the forum. Congrats on the 92 Softail. If you are good at rewiring, you should not have any problems. I have a thread posted here with some tips about wiring. If your not comfortable, go to the dealer and order both sets of switches. The new switches comes with the wiring harness. You could use a pin extractor to remove the pins and run them thru the bars correctly. good luck. Post up often and enjoy.

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Welcome from another Virginian! Where's Whitegate? Is that in Pulaski County? I spent a lot of time in Blacksburg. Great ridin' country. Washington Forest, Mountain Lake, Pandapas Pond, New River, etc.

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
Welcome to the wiring capital of the cyber world my man. Lots of people here that know their ship.

Your project will be a piece of cake and well worth it in the end, I am sure.

Help is just a few key strokes away. We got everything from electrical engineers, aircraft mechanics bike mechanical wizards to certified card carrying cartoon characters. All under one cyber roof.

So post up and remember no electron is your match.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Hope yer troubles will soon be over...welcome and enjoy...ain't we got a great place to ride!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HD-LUX said:
Welcome from another Virginian! Where's Whitegate? Is that in Pulaski County? I spent a lot of time in Blacksburg. Great ridin' country. Washington Forest, Mountain Lake, Pandapas Pond, New River, etc.
Whitegate is in Giles County on the southwestern most part on the Bland County Line, If you know where the Bland Correctional farm is I live right behind it not in it. You have most likely ridin out Route 42 off of 100 between dublin and pearisburg.

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
You shall be visited by 49 Virginians.......(was a joke in a post a while back)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts