V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
A weak coil will definatly act up under load.
Since you have been through the usual carb issues I think you might be right about the coil and ignition.
First check the plug wires and make use there is no corrosion where they insert into the coil. If there is, clean up the connections and use dielectric grease on the conections. If the wires have any cracks replace them.
Check the connection from the ignition sensor in the cam cover. Clean and grease all these connections also.
If you have a know good coil, swap it out. You indy may have one that somebody pulled to put in a high output coil.
Verify all the coil connections are tight and the wires are not frayed at the ring terminals.
I have had coils crap out that will run okay with no load, but when you hit the throttle they just cut out because the output was bad and would not fire the plug hard enough under load.
Last resort would be the ignition module, but they usually just die being a solid state unit.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Dave, glad you posted the solution to your problem. I wish all did but many times it is left hanging.
Glad you got it fixed, and enjoy your winter riding.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.