V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna try and keep this short...
I have a 92 E-glide with what I thought were carb problems. Now I'm not so sure... I bought the bike about a year ago and she ran like a champ up untill about one month back. She would spit and sputter under any load at all, backfiring through the carb and just generally unhappy. I took it to my mechanic and he agreed with my suspisions about the carb and tried to correct the problem. I got the bike back and it seemed better... at first. She started doing the same thing, only not near as bad. I took her back in and he changed the original CV with another that he had rebuilt for his bike. The problem was still there, but better.
So, I went out and bought a new S&S Super-e and put it on... Now I cant even get her to run like she did before. She will fire right up and idle but, once I put her into first she just can't do it... I know the carb is right and very closely adjusted. What else do I need to look for ? I am thinking ignition / timing here... Would the coil or ignition module going bad do this ?
I'm at my witts end here guys... I miss ridin' my big beautifull girl.

Dave

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Start with the obvious simple checks first. Have you tried pulling the fuel line off the carb. and making sure you have a full stream of fuel coming out of the hose? Have you changed fuel tank caps? What brand of plugs are you running?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did check the petcock, fuel line, vacuum line, intake manf... Everything I could think of. What bothers me now is that I have tried three different carbs. And this last one is bran new. Almost like the problem lies elsewhere....
Oh yeah, Harley plugs.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
A weak coil will definatly act up under load.
Since you have been through the usual carb issues I think you might be right about the coil and ignition.
First check the plug wires and make use there is no corrosion where they insert into the coil. If there is, clean up the connections and use dielectric grease on the conections. If the wires have any cracks replace them.
Check the connection from the ignition sensor in the cam cover. Clean and grease all these connections also.
If you have a know good coil, swap it out. You indy may have one that somebody pulled to put in a high output coil.
Verify all the coil connections are tight and the wires are not frayed at the ring terminals.
I have had coils crap out that will run okay with no load, but when you hit the throttle they just cut out because the output was bad and would not fire the plug hard enough under load.
Last resort would be the ignition module, but they usually just die being a solid state unit.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Worth a mention; I have seen a couple of bikes that had spark plug/head bolt covers (the one pc. ones), that were dropping spark. Once removed, the bikes were fine. Easy check if you have them.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've got a Super-E on my Evo. I started having problems like yours but mine would start acting up after I got a couple blocks down the road.

On mine it was simply the gas cap that wasn't venting. When I removed the fuel line from the carb the gas would flow out nicely, I thought, but when I loosened the gas cap it gushed out. Apparently the prior flow wasn't enough to feed these things.

At the time, I was 90% sure it was an electrical problem. It took me 2 weekends to figure out it was the gas cap. If air can't get into the tank, the gas can't get out.

Just something to check.

·
Banned
135 Posts
I had a similar problem several years ago. It would idle fine but wouldn't go anywhere. Sounds strange but all it ended up being was a bad battery cable. Good enough connection to idle but as soon as you hit the gas, even a little, vibration caused a bad connection. Let off the throttle and it went back to idling just fine. Threw me for a heck of a loop.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I know this sounds stupid, but have you checked the color of the plugs? I had a very similar problem, pulled the plugs, and they were BLACK! I then realized I had forgot to turn the choke off, therefore fouling the plugs.:duh?:

·
Registered
487 Posts
also a quick check is the ignition sensor wires where they run under the trans i have seen these rubbed and shorting to the trans case causing al kinds of odd running

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Problem Solved !

First off: thanks to everyone for your help.
Turned out to be the coil. Left work yesterday and picked up a new coil, wires and plugs. When I got home I changed everything out and she fired right up. Needles to say I ventured to ride her into work thismorning....
Yeah, I know, it's the dead of winter and most people wouldn't do that.

Did I mention that I'm in Florida and it's in the mid 70s....
Sorry guys, had to get that in there. lol

Many thanks again,
David

·
Banned
871 Posts
FLHTP dave said:
I'm gonna try and keep this short...
I have a 92 E-glide with what I thought were carb problems. Now I'm not so sure... I bought the bike about a year ago and she ran like a champ up untill about one month back. She would spit and sputter under any load at all, backfiring through the carb and just generally unhappy. I took it to my mechanic and he agreed with my suspisions about the carb and tried to correct the problem. I got the bike back and it seemed better... at first. She started doing the same thing, only not near as bad. I took her back in and he changed the original CV with another that he had rebuilt for his bike. The problem was still there, but better.
So, I went out and bought a new S&S Super-e and put it on... Now I cant even get her to run like she did before. She will fire right up and idle but, once I put her into first she just can't do it... I know the carb is right and very closely adjusted. What else do I need to look for ? I am thinking ignition / timing here... Would the coil or ignition module going bad do this ?
I'm at my witts end here guys... I miss ridin' my big beautifull girl.

Dave
Since you started using the S&S, have you been using the choke (enricher)? It's not a good idea to use it. It will foul your plugs very quickly, which will then cause the problems you are having. That's the only real drawback to the S&S. Other than that, it's an awesome carb!

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Dave, glad you posted the solution to your problem. I wish all did but many times it is left hanging.
Glad you got it fixed, and enjoy your winter riding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts