V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 92 Low Rider has just over 12,000 miles, and has never given me any trouble and has never leaked even a single drop of oil. The bike has been sitting for about the past 4 weeks though cause it's just too frikin hot to ride.

I started the bike over the weekend and had a frikin gusher of engine oil running out of my air cleaner. I removed the air cleaner and re-started the bike to find oil blowing out of the breather hose about 3 feet!

Any ideas? I can only imagine extreme crankcase pressure as the cause...

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Sumped

Reposado said:
My 92 Low Rider has just over 12,000 miles, and has never given me any trouble and has never leaked even a single drop of oil. The bike has been sitting for about the past 4 weeks though cause it's just too frikin hot to ride.

I started the bike over the weekend and had a frikin gusher of engine oil running out of my air cleaner. I removed the air cleaner and re-started the bike to find oil blowing out of the breather hose about 3 feet!

Any ideas? I can only imagine extreme crankcase pressure as the cause...
I do frickin believe that the frickin crankcase frickin filled with frickin oil, draining past the frickin pump from frickin being out of frickin service for that frickin period of frickin time.
Frickin check ball may frickin have to be frickin re-frickin-seated.
Frickin hope this frickin helps.
My frickin finger frickin wouldn't frickin stop frickin typing that frickin word. Help!

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Oil Puking

I'll frickin bet your frickin right, Randy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey Repo, Thoughs frikin guys could have atleast told tou that next time you go to start it after it sits awhile keep the gas off and crank it for a few, this can help to maybe move some oil and reset that frikin ball. (been there, did it)

·
Milemarker 0
1,065 Posts
Had the same problem with my '90 Evo a couple of years back. Dealer told me to pull the dipstick then start the bike, which allowed the oil to be pumped back to the tank with no back pressure. Haven't had a problem since.

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
YorkHogRider said:
Had the same problem with my '90 Evo a couple of years back. Dealer told me to pull the dipstick then start the bike, which allowed the oil to be pumped back to the tank with no back pressure. Haven't had a problem since.
Well I can't wait to get home from work and try that. I've been getting oil splatter on the side cover, rear guard bag and side of the seat on my 98 evo for about two months. If thats all it takes to stop it I'll be ecstatic ~!Awesome!

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Ed Y said:
98RKC,

Two completely different problems. Doubt it will solve yours.
Damn,
A guy can dream can't he:(
Any idea what would cause mine? I keep the oil level on the low side, and it just started getting bad within the last couple of months. May try the pad trick to see if that helps.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
98RKC,

I'd be willing to bet the breather gear is starting to go south on you.

That plastic tooth POS.. who's brainchild was that anyway:huh:

I replaced my with the S&S reed valve breather and have had no problems.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would check the breather gear, I had two teeth broke off mine, was not blowing oil out but using it Qrt every 700-800 miles, replaced with S&S problem solved, this the firth thing the manaul tells you to check for several problems. Mine is a 98 FLHRC-I. 53,000 miles and runs great.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Its pretty straight foward.

Remove the ign mod and cup.
Remove the nose cone.
The breather gear is at 9 o'clock remove it.
Slide in the new S&S reed valve unit and forget it. Since it does not rotate you don't have to worry about lining up timing marks.

Replace gaskets,,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts