V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a 91 E-Glide Ultra Classic. When the ambient temperature starts getting warm, say 85ish and after the bike has time to heat up, ten or so miles on my afternoon ride home from work, the volt guage will register a spike. With the high beam on the guage shows the alternator is charging at about 13 volts. When the spike hits it'll jump to approx 14 for about 10 seconds then come back down to 13 for about the same amount of time. It'll do this dance till I get home and whatever it is that is causing this has time to cool down. If I use my driving lights all this happens a little sooner. When the spike hits my blinkers and radio are incapacitated during the high spike and will work again after the needle comes back down. It has blown the fuse for my XM radio so it is an honest to god spike. I can also be in the garage right after a run , turn the engine off, have the lights on and with the volt guage reading around 10 the spike will still hit and in this scenario it really pulls the guage down. I've replaced the four breakers in the fairing....what am I missing? I took it to Harley and they couldn't reproduce the problem. I'm guessing they didn't run it long enough to get the offending part hot enough to show up.

Any ideas?

·
Pimp Daddy
386 Posts
The only item I can think of that may be tempermental to heat would be the battery. It's possible that with the heat and the load being put on it that it's releasing...Is it a sealed battey or a regular acid battery? Just an idea, otherwise I have no clue, I've never seen nor heard of anything like this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Question are you using Synthetic Oil if so pull your stator plug to see if the oil is weeping up thru the wires causing a low voltage short. This happened on my 94 EG ultra with Synthetic Oil causing bad voltage readings after wiping the oil out the problem has not reappeared.
Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sr1032 said:
The only item I can think of that may be tempermental to heat would be the battery. It's possible that with the heat and the load being put on it that it's releasing...Is it a sealed battey or a regular acid battery? Just an idea, otherwise I have no clue, I've never seen nor heard of anything like this.

Nah....new battery. Advanced Glass Mat technology from DEKA. I understand they make them for Harley.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RAPTOR94 said:
Question are you using Synthetic Oil if so pull your stator plug to see if the oil is weeping up thru the wires causing a low voltage short. This happened on my 94 EG ultra with Synthetic Oil causing bad voltage readings after wiping the oil out the problem has not reappeared.
Good luck!

I am using Syn oil. Do you mean the plug that goes to the regulator? Did you have a spike or was it just the voltage not reading correctly on the guage?
This is an actual spike as it affects my blinkers-radio and has blown an XM radio fuse. Please expound a little more on your bikes symptoms. Oh, and I have replaced the regulator as well.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The battery is a possible candidate to this over voltage spike issue, but it could also be attributed to a faulty voltage regulator or intermittant battery cable connections.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts