V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a thought, my sporty is dead, next consideration is to resurect chopped.
what is the widest wheel/tire I can use in the standard swing arm chain drive or do I have to convert to belt to fit wider.
Is there a definative standard to say widen the frame by an inch , swing arm by an inch means an inch wider on the wheel/tire or are there other considerations or scales.
just thinking as the crap that is on UK roads (puncture wise) and import duties can financially ruin a project, thanks

·
Banned
169 Posts
When I converted a 89 Sportster to Dyna rubber mounts and a 150/80 - 16 I needed to widen the swingarm one inch and the motor had to be set over to the right 5/8". Even if you aren't reinventing the wheel like I did you will still need to set the motor over and make a rear wheel spacer if you want the belt to clear the tire and have the rear tire in line with the front.

I think you could use a late Sportster dished rear wheel pulley to eliminate a spacer, but there is no way to put a 150 in a 89 swingarm with a belt and have the wheels line up without widening it. If you leave the motor where it is in the frame (no offset) you will need a offset trans pulley of approximately 5/8" to have everything work, then the sprocket cover won't fit! I've seen this but it looks jury rigged to me... :cheers:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, Im looking at a Screaming Eagle 103 with plates for the evo frame so will have to add it al up:chopper:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts